Search

After Botswana, Sabi Sand, but Not Singita

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After Botswana, Sabi Sand, but Not Singita

Hi:

Next August we'll be taking our nephew (21) for his first ever trip to Africa as a graduation present. We'll start off with several days in Botswana, at Jao or Mombo Camp, and we'll end up at Phinda at Rock Lodge. In between we'd like to stop at Sabi Sands, but have gone off Singita after our last visit there. Perhaps Londolozzi, or perhaps somewhere else...if not Singita in Sabi Sands, then where? Any suggestions anyone...and thank you!!!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 10:01 AM

Simbambili would be an excellent choice

http://www.tagasafaris.co.za/african...est-events.htm

Click on the link for their 4 night special
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 11:35 AM

You may want to consider Londolozi Tree Camp. Very few guests, beautfiful lodging, excellent cuisine and prolific game viewing. They excel in tracking leopard, which I found thrilling. You will enjoy Phinda...excellent in every way.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 04:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
I really liked MalaMala. I saw leopards and lions on probably 75% of the game drives. I was there 6 nights and shared game drives with 4 or 5 other couples during my stay (max of 6 people per vehicle) and everyone received their "Big Five" certificate. The lodge is run very professionally without feeling "stuffy" which would be nice for a 21 year old. The rangers share meals with their "group" (again, a max of 6 people) and most of them were in their 20's which may be another positive for your nephew.

MalaMala has won a few awards:
May 2005 - MalaMala Game Reserve was voted 2nd in the category “Worlds Best Service” for Africa and the Middle East. “Travel & Leisure” Magazine

October 2004 - 3rd "Best Safari Camp" by Conde Nast Traveler
May 2004 - 7th "Best Hotel In The World" from Travel & Leisure Magazine
January 2004 - Top 700 places to stay - Conde Nast Traveler -

May 2003 - Number 1 in "Africa and the Middle East" for "World’s Best Service" by Travel & Leisure Magazine
March 2003 - 3rd Best Hotel in the World for overall value for money.
Best value in Africa and the Middle East for over USD$400.00 by Travel and Leisure Magazine

The list of awards dates back to 1983. Some of the pictures from my trip are at http://www.pbase.com/cjw/south_africa_2004

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies! We'll research all those suggestions. An extra thought/questions if anybody is interested....if your combining Botswana and South Africa, would you go to Botswana first, or second? Again, we'll be at Wilderness Safaris camps in the Okavango Delta.

THANKS!!!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:30 AM

Mike,
What are you interests in terms of activities and game/ bird viewing?
I'd recommend different places to someone more interested in walking or mokoro/ canoe trips than to someone who preferred vehicle drives.
I'd recommend different places to someone who really wants to see lots of predators than to someone really into birding or smaller mammals.
What about your personal prioritising of accommodation style, food and the viewing itself?
Let us know what YOU are looking for and I'm sure you'll get even more recommendations!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Well, the trick on this one is combining the interests of an active, atletic and inteligent 21 year old with those his comfort loving -- but fun! -- uncles.

We'd like him to get the greatest diversity of experiences -- from mokoro expeditions to game drives to game walks. Personally, I'm fascinated by smaller animals, flora, highly informative game drives vs. the constant thrill of predator tracking and close encouters with the giant animals. And, at this stage of my life, more than a little luxury.

So, our ideal camps/destiantions in Botswanna would be those that provide the utmost variety in activities and wildlife in as luxurious a setting as possible -- which is why we love Africa in tthe irst, and why suggestions are so very welcome!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 11:09 AM

Mike
Thanks for elaborating! Hope he appreciates how generous his uncles are?
I wonder if Jack's Camp in Botswana would be of interest. It's a very different setting to the Delta camps and offers a unique insight into geological and anthropological history, into animals not easily seen elsewhere such as brown hyena and meerkat, a fantastic landscape with the chance to go quad biking over the expansive salt pans and a truly magical camp with the most helpful and knowledgable staff we encountered.