Search

Africa's Best?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Africa's Best?

Other than Egypt and South Africa, which I've already visited, what other African countries are a traveler's must-sees.

I'm eager to return to the continent.

Many thanks,

Gerry
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Hi Gerry,
You may want to look at the thread 'where did your African travels take you' as it's semi similar to your question with the exception being that it includes all of African.
Hope that helps.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Cybor. I did visit your thread and enjoyed it. However, most of the responses regard just places visited without recommendations. I'd like to hear what African countries others would suggest visiting, and why.
Cheers,
Gerry
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 11:59 AM

I'd reccommend Zambia. The people are so nice, the rivers and land are beautiful and the animals are amazing. everywhere you looked in South Luangwa there was always some kind of animal to see. the zambezi river was beautiful and tiger fishing was great fun. I enjoyed it so much I planned my next trip to return 4 months later.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 01:45 PM

Gerry

Your question might be considered overly broad.

I love Botswana, but then the only reason I go to Africa is to view wildlife. Have zip, zero interest in anything else.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 01:52 PM
sandi

Butterscotch -

Also, read the thread

"East Africa Trip Index"

which LyndaS has been good enough to put together for everyone as a great resource. Here you'll find various Trip Reports from Fodorites with information re their destinations, accommodations, animal sightings, food, guides, tour operators and general comments.

All the countries mentioned (and even those not included in these reports or elsewhere on this board) have their pros and cons, depending on when you will be traveling, type of accommodations, specifically interests - game viewing only or culture & cities, or a combination and your budget.

Old Dec 29th, 2005, 06:40 AM

Gerry,

A must-see is dependent upon who is doing the seeing. What are you most interested in--wildlife, certain species, scenery, culture, hiking, canoeing? For a list of recommendations, every African country I've visited would make the list. There were no duds.

Recommendations:
Kenya for the migration in the Mara, variety of wildlife, Masai and Samburu culture.

Tanzania for the Ngorongoro crater, migration in the Serengeti, chimps in Mahale (no personal experience in Mahale)

Uganda for the gorillas and chimps. You can even volunteer at a Jane Goodall chimp sanctuary, a wonderful experience.

Rwanda for easier access to the national park with gorillas and slightly better vieiwing.

Zambia for excellent walking and canoeing and truly remote areas. Also Victoria Falls, though I've not seen it from this side. Zambia also has the largest mammal migration in the world--the fruit bats in Nov-Dec. I have not yet witnessed this spectacle but look forward to it someday.

Zimbabwe for excellent walking, rhino tracking and canoeing. Victory Falls. Also cave paintings in the south. (other countries have these too, but I have not seen them)

Botswana for the abundant wildlife viewed in remote, secluded locations, and the Okavango Delta.

The problem is there are so many must-sees and then there are those see-it-agains. Seems like a return trip is always on the horizon.

If I had to put together a list of most visited or most popular sites Eastern and Southern Africa, it would probably be:

Victoria Falls (either Zimbabwe or Zambia)
Okavango Delta (Botswana)
Ngorongoro Crater (Tanzania)
Wildebeest/Zebra Migration (Kenya or Tanzania, depending on the time of year)

The African Wildlife Foundation published its "Big 5 Destinations" in Africa in their newsletter

Okavango Delta, Botswana
Samburu, Kenya
Volcanoes National Park, Rwanda
Loango, Gabon
Queen Elizabeth, Uganda

Wherever you decide to go, please post your itinerary and have a great trip.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to each of you for posting such wonderful suggestions. You're terrific!

Gerry