Reload this Page >

Africa photo safari-which one?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 1998, 04:54 PM
Stu Safine

Hi. I'm interested in an African photo safari. which one do you recommend and why? Thanks...

Old Nov 14th, 1998, 07:05 PM
julieee

If you want to go first class, consider Abercrombie and Kent. We went with them some years ago and they took excellent care of us, safe, and good value. <BR>

Old Nov 15th, 1998, 06:20 AM
Aurora

Agree with previous message. We went with Maupintour: great guide, so-so lodging, so-so food. Overpriced. Saw A&K vans (much better than ours) everywhere; customers seemed to be having a great time.

Old Nov 17th, 1998, 05:14 PM
mike

I haven't actually been, but did see the brochure for Joseph Van Os Photo Safaris, which appears to be geared specifically for photographers. They have a limited choice of Africa destinations, but it is an alternative to the less specialized tour company, e.g. A&K. <BR>

Old Nov 20th, 1998, 02:55 PM
S west

Just returned from a 17 day trip in October with Micato Tours and would highly reccomend them. They are locally owned and operated. The experience was first-class.

Old Nov 21st, 1998, 05:45 AM
TC

I have not used this, but there is a woman, Michele Burgess at [email protected] who runs photo safaris. We are using Big Five for a 3 week safari of Kenya & Tanzania in Jan. Big Five was highly recommended by friends.

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 02:03 AM
corinna

Hi <BR> <BR>We are tour operators based in SA and cater for every individual clients needs. Please contact us via our website for more info. <BR>www.outlookafrica.co.za

Old Apr 10th, 1999, 02:34 PM
Kevin

There is a great site you may want to try called the Adventure Finder, which lets you search for companies that offer tours and request free brochures. You can search by country or by activity (eg: photography/ safari) <BR>Their site is at: <BR> http://www.greentravel.com/refer/uktravel/xnet <BR> <BR>Have a great time - Africa is a wonderful country to visit.

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 12:28 PM
Pat

Best safari experience is Botswana, small, exclusive, wonderful animal experiences. I have been to Kenya, and while animals are great, the traffic jams are bad and every sighting has lots of minibuses. In Botswana (we went with Wilderness Safaris) they have private concessions where sightings are controlled, only 2 vehicles allowed at one time. Great guides also. I used Fish Eagle Safaris (have a great website) <BR>Going again in August! <BR>Pat

Old May 17th, 1999, 01:38 PM
Louise

Agree thoroughly with everything Pat says right down to Fish Eagle Safaris. <BR>Our just-returned experience in Botswana was much superior to that previously in Kenya and Tanzania.

Old May 21st, 1999, 09:01 AM
skoelle

<BR>I am leaving on June 13 for a 14 day safari in Tanzania with Thompson Safaris. I've heard great things about them, and so far their service has been excellent. They are based in Tanzania and have an office in Boston. <BR> <BR>I've also heard great things about Abercrombe and Kent (good service, but expensive) and Micato (good service, not quite as expensive).

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 04:50 AM
dan

Looks like you got some good help. I don't know whether this is too late, but go to photo.net and try asking the same question on the Nature Photography forum there. Or do a search on that forum for past questions on Africa.