Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Africa Friends, help Atravelynn with a concern about flying in Brazil in August. Going to the Pantanal, SERENGETI of South America

Search

Africa Friends, help Atravelynn with a concern about flying in Brazil in August. Going to the Pantanal, SERENGETI of South America

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aug 3 depart for Sao Paulo
about 4 internal flights
Aug 22 leave Sao Paulo for home

Since it's the SERENGETI of South America, I feel justified posting here. I've looked for info on Fodor's Latin America board and Fodors Airlines board, but there is none. I've done other general searches, even that FlyTalk site, but as of this morning, did not get too much info.

I am not going in or out of the domestic airport where the crash occurred. The one landing and takeoff that had been scheduled for there will be changed through my agent per my request. I'll find out the details and cost of that change on Mon.

I don't know if delaying the whole trip is an option, but I will on Monday when I am in contact again with TA.

Of course canceling and losing the cost is an option.

Maybe drive instead of fly and cancel some of the activities to provide the time to drive. But this is not a private one-person trip where I call all the shots. Don't know how many others are joining me. I think 2 others for portions of the itinerary. But it could be more. Maybe they'll want to delay too, so that they really aren't part of my trip anymore.

The international tickets were United FF miles, so that can be changed for a fee.

I have travel insurance, but dont' think it applies to my dilemma.

Thought I'd get some other informed opinions.

Thank you!
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 02:41 PM

I have flown fairly widely in Brazil, on many of the local carriers and to many small airports, all without incident. I would not let one recent incident (where a plane skidded off a runway) and a mid-air crash last year effect my travel plans.

Delta skidded off the runway last year in Kentucky, and it has not reduced my willingness to fly on Delta. Another (it may have been Southwest) skidded off the runway at Chicago's Midway Airport a few years ago. Those are two examples that I easily recall, and I'm sure there are other incidents in the US.

But, I think people in the US tend to magnify overseas incidents and discount domestic incidents.

Visiting the Pantanal is very high on my list, and I am looking forward to your trip report (hopefully you'll see jaguars, hyacinth macaws and some giant anteaters).

Michael
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 02:43 PM

PS -- I arrive in South America right after you leave, when I land in Georgetown, Guyana, on August 25. After some time in Guyana, I will fly from Georgetown to Paramaribo, Suriname, and I have no idea what carrier I'm on, but when you want to reach the most interesting places, you are forced to fly on local carriers.
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 03:16 PM

I'm with Thit cho one this, we also travelled all over Brazil, mainly on TAM and as passengers found everything very modern and professional. The Pantantal is also high on our list...will you make it to Brasilia it was a very interesting city?

One thing i can say is that the distances in Brazil are HUGE and driving between the destinations may be a VERY timeconsuming and uncomfortable option.

However, this is really a question of your comfort. If it were me i would regret cancelling but then I'm someone who flew to Sydney a month after September 11th and my parents went on a round the world. At the time lots of people thought we were mad.
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both. It was not just the crash, but the radar outage last night that has me wondering about the infrastructure.

No Brasilia this time.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 04:36 AM

The Associated Press has an article today that describes the airport situation in Brazil as deteriorating. See what you think at the following Web site:

<http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070722/...ir_chaos_4>

We're also watching the developments, but our trip to Brazil isn't scheduled until later this year.

Otherwise, thanks for your wonderful pictures and trip reports on Mala Mala and Phinda.

Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Patlanta. It was that article that prompted my post. I'll let you know what I find out and decide.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 05:06 AM

Atravelyn, you never flew to a safari camp with a small plane? The have no radar either on those runways. ;-) I mean; there's more tools available to land an airline safely.

Seriously; I'll be going to Brazil too in September, and I will use BOTH airports, six times in total. I'll be visiting Iguazu, Pantanal, the Amazone, and Ilha Grande.

Not a hair on my head that's thinking about cancelling or changeing something.

I would not pay that much attention to all those press articles if I were you. In my country they say; "the soup is always eaten less hot than it's served"