Africa Addicts in NYC

Jan 14th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Africa Addicts in NYC

Every once in a while I find myself wishing that I lived in the New York City area. For those of you that do live within driving distance of the City, I thought the following event might be of interest. It looks like a great opportunity to shake off the winter blas, to get the juices flowing, and to start planning the next safari. While Andy is well known, on this forum, the following event was difficult to learn about so I thought I would post a heads up here on Fodors.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/eve...ils.jsp/id/586

For those of you who aren't familiar with B&H, they are one of the largest photographic dealers in the US. I hope I haven't stepped on any toes, everyone knows I am neither a professional photographer or in the travel business.

Cheers-Chuck
Jan 14th, 2010, 08:09 AM

Thanks for the heads-up. B&H is where I purchase my cameras... great prices and service.
Jan 14th, 2010, 08:45 AM

Thanks, if I were anywhere near I'd sure go and see/hear Andy. Would also be fun to visit B&H.
I see from Andy's web site he has openings for his March 2010 Tanzania photo safari. That would be great!!!! Also, he's doing a photo workshop in Moab Utah end of this April. I've been in the Moab area, beautiful, rugged (mostly) barren rock, landscape. Now that is very tempting.

Hey Chuck, did we hear anything about your "last minute" safari to Botswana (September?) ??? Was great I assume. What's next??? I'm contemplating about going this May.

regards - tom
Jan 14th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

sandi:
I buy all of my stuff at B&H as well. In fact it was during a telephone conversation with one of their managers that I became aware of Andy's talk. It's on his Blog but I never noticed it. In any event, getting this information was expensive as I ordered a new camera

Tom: Our last minute trip was extraordinary, fantastic, and I must add wonderful. We were worried that the grass would be too high for good photography but it was no problem. We had to work harder for the sightings but once we connected, the quality was over the top. One advantage we had not considered was the extra daylight. We were out in the vehicle by 5 or 5:15 every morning and didn't return to camp until 8 PM. A couple of teasers; a 3 week old leopard cub and mom at chitabe. Cub was climbing in and out of a fallen tree stump and provided great shots. Sadly we discovered a second cub within the tree that had beed killed by a snake earlier that morning or the night before. Lots of Wild Dog at Savuti and Selinda. The Selinda Pack attacked a small Wildebeest group with young calves. Exciting to watch and to photograph. Great lion, some cheetah, super birds and some of the more interesting hippo opportunities that I have ever had. Although while lying on the ground next to the Land Rover, I considered myself pretty stupid. Carol, who was in the vehicle did comment that it was only a mock charge. How does one tell a mock hippo charge from a real charge, except after the fact I'm not too clever with these smilies and frowns so I'll stop before I get into trouble. I strongly urge you to go in May if you can still get availability. I think that the World Cup has abbreviated the safari season this year and a lot of people are going in May who otherwise would have gone in June or July? Not positive about this but from looking at availability that is what seems to have happened. We are returning in May so as not to collide with the Soccer fans.
Jan 14th, 2010, 07:23 PM

SC-

Thanx for the info. We're going to see if there's still room for us!

Sounds like a great trip.
Jan 14th, 2010, 07:41 PM

Chuck - a new camera?? And a bigger camera bag for your poor lovely Mrs.!!! So what camera are you getting?? How did that microphone setup work on the Canon for video?? Are you letting the Mrs. do the video?? Probably would be an amusing one of you under the Rover with a hippo prancing around it!!!

Happy to hear about your last safari, yeah in September down there it is close to their spring solstice (Sep 21) so would be the longest days of the year. Yes, many more hours for photos!!! You took what, about 10,000??? And of course like to see some of your photos if you can get them up.

My thinking of going in May, probably not to Botswana, likely would be South Africa - again. Perhaps an old camp and try a new one or two. I'll have to email my TA and ask if he is seeing signs of an abbreviated safari season.

regards - tom
Jan 15th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

christabir:
I'm pretty certain that a good or well connected TA can get still you into certain of the Botswana Camps. You might have to work around the specifics and schedule a bit but probably can still be done. Consider May if your schedule permits, so that you will not have to get hotel accommodation in Joburg (Soccer Cup time).

Tom:

Canon just announced a new camera, Canon 1D Mark IV and I have been waiting for just such a camera. It's slightly larger than a conventional SLR but has a few features that that make it an ideal wildlife camera. My wildlife photography is action oriented so I really wanted a camera with a high frame rate and fast autofocus. Canon's predecessor to the Mark IV was problematic in both features so I took a pass. Now however, they seem to have put it all together; the preliminary reviews have all been positive and it is nearly impossible to find a dealer that has one in stock. I'm on a wait list but expect to take delivery in a couple of weeks. I did use a new stereo microphone on the Canon 5D Mark II and it works very well. Only problem is going back and forth between being a still photographer and a videographer. Just walking forward and chewing gum is hard enough LOL. Carol will be getting a HD video camera before our next safari so that will take some of the pressure off of me. You are pretty close on your estimate of the number of pics I took. Allthough I think that I am being more selective, new opportunities just keep unfolding and I can't help myself. Probably better for me than a lot of other compulsive habits. Re: Your South Africa plans. I think we will one day look back on this time and recognize it as being unique both in terms of pricing and availability. It wasn't long ago that safaris had to be planned and reserved at least 1 year ahead of time and prices were increasing at 10-20% per year. I'm afraid that trend will return once the Brillcream Boys with the Gold Rolexes start getting their bonuses again.

Tom, have you noticed that this seems to be more of an Egypt Forum nowadays? I don't look in as often due to lack of Africa related posts.

Cheers-Chuck
Jan 15th, 2010, 07:55 AM

Chuck - well, hope your picture processing is going better than mine. I put a few up on smugmug for my Fodors trip report but haven't done any more. I have not started a "this was my safari" DVD. But plan to soon. No new camera kit for me, maybe in a year, we'll see what Nikon comes up with to replace the D300s. (I'm still using the D200).

I hope you're mostly wrong about this being good times for safari pricing. The Brillcream Boys ( a little dab'll do ya), bankers, politicians are the greediest/sleaziest/crookedest lot I've ever seen. Makes Jesse James look honest!!!

Yes, have noticed this turning into an Egypt forum. I may start another thread about it, see if anything can bring back more Africa and safari talk.

regards - tom
Jan 15th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Tom - Our last Safari (November-December/Botswana) was a bit strange. Very few Americans, lots of travel agents, and lots of South Africans. I don't know how typical this is of the "Green Season", most of the TAs are from SA, spend a single day at each camp and really don't seem to have a very in depth understanding of the camps or the Bush. Nice to see so many Austalians in Africa, I think their currency has finally strengthened to the point where they can do Africa.
re: the Nikon, I think the new Nikons are dynamite, great high ISO and low noise and good focusing. Buy yourself a new retirement gift, I'm sure you deserve it.
Cheers-Chuck