Search

Advice on 2-week itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2022, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on 2-week itinerary

Hello,

We are planning a two-week trip to Morocco in March 2022. I would love to get some feedback on the proposed itinerary options (they are essentially the same except for the 1st 2 days). We would also be most interested in recommendations for drivers/guides. We will be 4 in all.

Many thanks in advance!

Option 1
Day 1: Arrive to Tangier Airport, transfer to Chefchaouen
Day 2: Tour Chefchaouen, drive to Fez
Day 3: Fez
Day 4: Fez
Day 5: Fez, fly to Marrakech
Day 6: Marrakech
Day 7: Marrakech
Day 8: Marrakech, drive to Essaouira
Day 9: Essaouria
Day 10: Drive to Atlas Mtns
Day 11: Hiking (Tamatert Pass and up to the Tacheddirt Pass)
Day 12: Drive to Casa Blanca
Day 13: Casa Blanca
Day 14: Depart Morocco

Option 2
Day 1: Arrive to Casa Blanca: transfer to Rabat
Day 2: Tour Rabat, transfer to Fez
Day 12: Drive to Casablanca
Day 13: Casablanca

Old Nov 26th, 2022, 05:51 AM

I did extensive research when planning our trip to Morocco as well. I went on this forum also and saw recommendations by a photojournalist of her trip with her husband with pictures in which she raved about Moroccan Family Tours. I contacted them via email and was impressed with their vast experience and flexibility. They were fantastic in personalizing our trip and offering special unique and hidden gems not offered on any other tours. Karaoui Salem was the most wonderful guide/driver we have ever had anywhere. He made us feel like family. We can't wait to return to this magnificently beautiful country with Karaoui Salem and Moroccan Family Tours.
Old Nov 26th, 2022, 06:59 AM

Another fan of Salem and Moroccan Family Tours - in fact, I think I'm the person suzyg is referring to. We had the best time in Morocco, thanks to Salem, who was both driver and guide* and we really enjoyed his company as well.

Here's the link to my trip report - you might enjoy looking at it, Morocco is truly a beautiful country, with several fascinating cultures, which I hope you'll see through the trip report:
Morocco, A Visual Journey

*There are a few locations which required local guides; otherwise, Salem was our guide/driver for the trip.

But I didn't answer your question about your tour - we did see both Rabat and Chefchaouen and it really depends upon your flight and interests.

Rabat is the capital of Morocco and we stayed one night in the old part of town. It was a "soft landing" - we really enjoyed our visit there, and thought it a good place to start. From there, we drove a long way to Chefchaouen, where we stayed two nights. Chefchaouen is the "Blue Pearl" and is frequently shown in images of Morocco; and it is very photogenic. But it is also VERY touristy. The drive from Chefchaouen to Fes is longer than the drive from Rabat to Fes. I think it depends upon what you're looking for - I think, for one night and a long drive the next day, I'd probably pass on Chefchaouen.

There's not a right or wrong here, but what your preference is.

Last edited by progol; Nov 26th, 2022 at 07:09 AM.
Old Nov 26th, 2022, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you suzyg and pogol for your responses. I did see the original post and beautiful trip report. I did reach out via the link to Moroccan Family Tours using the embedded link, but received error messages when I tried to email them. I also didn't see any recent information on the website so wondered whether they had ceased operations due to the pandemic. If you have additional contact information for them, I would be most appreciative!
Old Nov 27th, 2022, 02:07 AM

Hi, Nancy,
This should work:
https://moroccan-family.com

Let me know if it doesn’t! They are definitely still in operation now, though, like many places, had shut down during COVID. But they’re back in action now!

Last edited by progol; Nov 27th, 2022 at 02:09 AM.
Old Nov 27th, 2022, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! This time I was able to send a message using a pre-set form that didn't show up in previous attempts. Appreciate it!
Old Nov 27th, 2022, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by NancyLA
Thank you! This time I was able to send a message using a pre-set form that didn't show up in previous attempts. Appreciate it!
Excellen! I hope it works out for you!
Old Dec 4th, 2022, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by NancyLA
Hello,

We are planning a two-week trip to Morocco in March 2022. I would love to get some feedback on the proposed itinerary options (they are essentially the same except for the 1st 2 days). We would also be most interested in recommendations for drivers/guides. We will be 4 in all.

Many thanks in advance!

Option 1
Day 1: Arrive to Tangier Airport, transfer to Chefchaouen
Day 2: Tour Chefchaouen, drive to Fez
Day 12: Drive to Casa Blanca
Day 13: Casa Blanca

Option 2
Day 1: Arrive to Casa Blanca: transfer to Rabat
Day 2: Tour Rabat, transfer to Fez
Day 12: Drive to Casablanca
Day 13: Casablanca
When we were in Morocco qite a while ago, long distance buses were clean and comfortable. The train was aged, with traditional compartments. However, in our 10 day trip to the three imperial cities (Marrakesh, Meknčs and Fez) we used these modes of transportation. I can't imagine that taking the plane from Fez to Casablanca is more efficient than the train.

You left out Meknčs which I think should not be missed. But I think a guide is very useful to see that city and the surrounding area: Volubilis and Moulay Idriss.

https://flic.kr/p/7nATCF https://flic.kr/p/7nEPX3 https://flic.kr/p/7nARzv