Advice for Zambia safari

Nov 19th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Advice for Zambia safari

Things have changed for the better and I am now able to add 4 or 5 more nights onto my Botswana safari in June. I am already booked for 9 nights in Botswana and 3 nights in Victoria Falls. I was then going to fly to London on July lst. I am now able to do a safari in Zambia after Victoria Falls. Should I cut Victoria Falls to 2 nights and do one camp in Zambia for 4 or 5 nights? Which camp would add to what I will already experience at Kwetsani, Duba Plains and Duma Tau. Thanks in advance.
Nov 19th, 2005, 09:32 PM

If you are booking a Wilderness Safari, why not continue with Chikwenya in Mana Pools.

E-gnu has a special in June at $281ppn

www.e-gnu.com/Chikwenya_rates.html
Nov 19th, 2005, 10:28 PM

The best camp in Zambia to best complement your Wilderness Safaris camps, will be either Luangwa River Lodge in South Luangwa or Chiawa Camp in Lower Zambezi. These are the finest camps that Zambia has to offer.

www.luangwariverlodge.com
www.chiawa.com

Chiawa has a nice discount for a 5 night stay, and Luangwa River Lodge offers discounted rates on any nights past the third night, so the last two nights of a five night stay would be at a nice discount.

As Luangwablondes already mentioned, Chikwenya would be a good option for Mana Pools and would likely be no more difficult to access than the Zambian camps that I mentioned.

Personally, I would endorse Luangwa River Lodge as it will enjoy the nicest weather since it is by far the furthest north and it will also offer even better accomodations than you will experience in Botswana with incredible food, excellent hosting and very good guiding (complete with a tracker for your night drives).

Good luck.
Nov 20th, 2005, 04:14 AM

Two days in Victoria Falls should be adequate, especially if it allows you to add a Zambian safari. I broke a two-week safari with two days in Vic Falls, and while the days were full, I wouldn't have added a third day if it meant one less day on safari. That said, the mid-safari break was a welcome change of pace.
Nov 20th, 2005, 08:01 AM

More time means more fun for you!

I'd prefer 2 nights to 3 at Victoria Falls.

I'd add a Zambia camp that allows walking and canoeing such as Chiawa or Sausage Tree in the Lower Zambezi. If you can canoe along the Chifungulu Channel from Chiawa/Sausage to Old Mondoro, a more rustic LZ camp, that would be a great combo. I did that in 2003 and am looking into doing it again.

Am looking forward to your Duba Plains feedback, as I'll be there shortly after you in August. The Duba Plains latest newsletter is out. You may have seen it.

Search this Thread