Search

Add on Zambia or Botswana?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add on Zambia or Botswana?

We are doing a tour of Kenya and Tanzania in September, 2006. We are planning on arriving a week before the tour to see Victoria Falls and we were planning on going to Botswana. I am now thinking of Zambia instead because it is much closer to the Falls. Any suggestions would be most welcomed. Thank you so much.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 01:27 PM

I've only been to Zambia, so I'd recommend a short flight down to Lower Zambezi and do some water activities and game/walking drives before getting to Kenya/Tanzania. The weather will be warm. Check out some of the camps in Lower Zambezi but I'd recommend Chongwe River Camp-an amazing, beautiful place!
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:50 PM

I agree that Lower Zambezi would make a great add-on to Kenya & Tanzania. It will be a nice contrast, providing you the opportunity for both wildlife acitivities on land and on the Zambezi River. September is an excellent time to visit and the Tiger Fish (big cousin of the Piranha) should be easy to catch (catch & release policy but still loads of fun, and you will see plenty of wildlife such as elephants, buffalo, water buck, fish eagles and a lot more, while out fishing).

I also stayed at Chongwe River Camp...I was there last September. This is a truly remarkable camp. You can count on numerous elephants walking right through camp each day, fireflies coming out as soon as it gets dark, hippos grunting and likely the sound of lions roaring.

The owner is Chris Liebenberg and he is a really great guy and will be managing the camp personally next season, along with plenty of qualified staff and junior managers.

If you stay five nights at Chongwe, you do qualify for a nice discount. Chongwe is a nicely priced alternative to Botswana...honestly, it will be half the price as either Kwando or Wilderness Safaris in September, assuming you go with a five night visit.

Lower Zambezi is easily reached from Victoria Falls with a 40 minute light air transfer. However, your best bet would be the following:

Get a round trip flight from Nairobi to Lusaka. Do your five nights in Lower Zambezi first...it is only a 25 minute light air transfer from Lusaka to Lower Zambezi. Then head down to Victoria Falls for two nights, before flying back to Lusaka to connect back to Nairobi. Chances are that you will not even need an overnight in Lusaka.

Good luck.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Topping.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Both Zambia and Botswana have areas that would be nice additions to a Vic Falls visit, so both are options. From Vic Falls you can be transfered overland to Kasane and fly to camps in Northern Botswana from there. The camps in the Linyanti/Savuti area will be closest. Chobe is really close (you can do a land transfer and avoid flights altogether). But of course Chobe is a national park and is much more crowded than the reserves, and there are rules about staying on the roads, etc.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 04:06 PM

Sorry, hit post before finished!
But depending on your interests,time & budget, Chobe might still fit the bill. And it is the closest to Vic Fall of all.

Other than that, I've found that logistically the Lower Zam and the closer areas of Bots are about the same from Vic Falls.

Matnikstym & Roccco have covered the options and air details for Zambia's Lower Zambezi well...you also might want to check similar flight options from East Africa to Livingstone/Vic Falls.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 04:15 PM

What interests you most? Activities such as canoeing or walking, along with game drives? That is Zambia's
strong point.

Seeing the Okavango Delta by vehicle or being poled in a mokoro? Doing an evening Chobe River Cruise to see abundant wildlife? Going to the Linyanti or Moremi areas with amazing game (more than Zambia in my experience)? Then Botswana would be best. Botswana will likely be more expensive and not quite as convenient to reach.

Either Zambia or Botwsana can offer you night drives, which you may not be doing in Kenya and Tanzania.

September is an excellent time for Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, and Botswana.