$$$$$ Abu Simbel - Is it worth $335.00

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were just quoted $240 per person plus an additional $95 for insurance.

We are travelling with OAT next month and were planning to book this tour. Are we being overcharged for a half day tour including airfare?

Thanks. Sounds like SO much!!!!

Old Mar 5th, 2008, 04:47 PM

It sounds like a lot because of the $95.00 for Insurance.

I booked my flight to Abu Simble when I booked tour going to Egypt.

The very nice tour guide I had told me I could have booked it once I got here for less money.

Before we started out tour, all those that wanted to go to Abu Simble( 5 days from now) went into another room and signed up and paid ...and that is all there was to it.

They were on the same flight as I was ( from Aswan to Abu Simble).

And I booked mine back in my home City before I left.
At least I had the comfort of knowing I was booked for the flight( Aswan to Abu Simble)

Ask OAT if you can book when you get to Cairo and join your tour.

But remember you do NOT want to miss Abu Simble

Percy
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 06:20 PM

I am going on a trip with Intrepid in May,and according to my info.,a daytrip including airfare is about $150 USD
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 06:30 PM

i would see what air egypt is offering....when i went many years ago, the flight cost included transportation to and from the monuments and a guide as i remember...you could then do it on your own...just have to get to the airport--taxi....
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you; I will contact OAT again with the info you have provided.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 05:15 AM

$95 for insurance? Insurance for what? You've already (I assume) purchased trip insurance for your entire adventure. That policy should cover this side-trip in Egypt.

Personally, I think they're trying to dissuade you so as to not upset their (OAT) schedule.

The $240 should cover your transfers to the airport, flights to/from. Once at AS, you hop on the buses to the site (no fee); pick up a guide at the gate (usually puts together a group of English speakers... can be a few or more... there are quite a few guides here). At conclusion of site tour, a tip to guide. Back on the bus to airport, on the plane and off you go.

I've seen various prices for this side-trip, from a low of $150 to $350/person. Much can depend on whether flights are CAI/ASB/CAI, LUX/ASB/LUX, ASW/ASB/ASW, or any combination of these, as CAI/ASB/ASW, LUX/ASB/CAI, etc.

Where would you be flying from? Returning to? Will affect the price, but the "insurance" is strange!!!

Old Mar 7th, 2008, 10:13 AM

I paid $225 for the Abu Simbel add on. This was 2 years ago so it seems reasonable considering the rising prices. I bought insurance separately for the entire trip.

It was definitely worth it. We almost didn't go even though we had paid for it up front. My Dad and I both came down with a really bad travel bug the day before. We went anyway and it was amazing, though not fun to travel there and back while sick. We got a great picture in front of the temple, despite being too tired to even stand up. We figured it might be our only chance to go and were glad we persevered. We recovered the next day.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

thanks again for all the input.

We purchased the tour from OAT last year and bought the all inclusive insurance. At the time, the insurance for the whole trip, at that time, was about $350. Then when we wanted to add on to the trip with the OPTIONAL that they say must be booked 45 days in advance, the price of the tour went up (from the brochure) and an additional block of insurance was necessary. I guess it's $95 for each supplement of insurance.

This might be confusing but if it happens to you, there will be some reasoning to our plight.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to write.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 01:01 PM

Trip insurance on average comes to between 6-8% of total trip cost. If they're asking $95 on a $240 package, comes to almost 40%. Something doesn't sound right!

Is this extension at end of your trip? If so, does OAT have to change any flights, hotels, transfers?

Why not try to book this separately. Don't know whether she can help, but there is a gal, out of Cairo, Debbie Senters who has her own tour company; many here have used and been more than satisfied with her services. Maybe Debbie can arrange this or recommend someone who can. Drop her an email at [email protected]. No harm in asking.

Old Mar 8th, 2008, 06:04 AM

The $240 is reasonable for the trip, but $95 for insurance is not. Can you insure this part of the trip seperately. If not, I would forgo the insurance on this part of the trip and take my chances. I would not wait to book it from Egypt as the planes to Abu Simbel are usually filled ( mostly with tour groups).
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you again for your responses.

OAT insures in amounts of $1,000 for $95.00

Our tour just went over the amount locking us into the next thousand.

They add the cost of the tour to Abu Simbel to our TOTAL grand tour (air, hotel, meals, tour guide, etc.) accounting for the high fee.

It doesn't seem fair charging $240 for a tour and $95 for insurance but they make the rules.

We still have not decided to go or not....it's more the principal of the issue. We, like most of you out their, have worked very hard and saved for these wonderful experiences. I do hope it still comes about.

Old Mar 9th, 2008, 03:47 AM

I understand that you have saved for this trip and I really think you are going to have a great time. It is a shame that the cost of the trip to Abu Simbel "kicked" you up to another level of insurance coverage with OAT.

But..thinking about all the positive responses you got when you first asked if this site was worth the visit.....do you want to look back on this trip 5 years from now and say that you skipped going because of $95 and "the principal of the issue"???
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 08:19 AM

I agree with the last responder. Go to Abu Simbel. It's definitely worth it. In the grand scheme of things, the money shouldn't be the deciding factor. You are going all the way over there, you probably won't go back for a long time ( if ever) - so do it.

Enjoy it

Ldtc2
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Grcxx3

ldtc2 ([email protected])

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT.....

WE WILL BOOK TOUR FOR ABU SIMBEL TOMORROW....

THANKS AGAIN
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 08:32 PM

GOOD!!! Go and enjoy Egypt! It is a spectacular place!
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

I am so impressed with this website.

Thank you everyone.

The tour is booked and we leave in less than a month.

Thanks again.

The tour is booked!