? about water while on game drives

Old Dec 13th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? about water while on game drives

Hi,

Quick question:
Do most tour operators (or hotels) provide bottled water for game drives, or should I bring my own plastic nalgene bottle to fill at the hotel?

Thanks!
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 02:59 PM

In southern africa its usually provided, where are you going, someone here probably knows the answer.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 03:01 PM
cw

We were in South Africa in September and there was plenty of bottled water in our room, and also in the bar/lounge area where we met before game drives, so I wouldn't think you'd have to bring your own bottle.

But it could depend where you are going, and what your arrangements are with your tour.

CW
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 04:25 PM

My experience does not include the big truck group participation overland mobile safaris. For every other kind of safari (including mobiles) or accommodation, water bottles were provided.

Sometimes in East Africa they had to be purchased in camp or in bulk by the guide/driver, but I never had to pour my own in Africa.

The Nalgene bottle would just take up too much room in my opinion.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 04:42 PM

all the game drives I've been on, water or sodas have been provided, tell your guide what you'd like to take with you on drives...those were at all inclusive camps/lodges so check where you are staying if water/sodas/juice are included.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 08:38 PM

Our driver kept a cooler full of water bottles in the vehicle.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 08:39 PM

Oops.. forgot to mention that our experience was in Tanzania.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 04:22 AM

In the Kenya trip we just completed, the lodges provided 1 bottle per person per day. For the meals, you can not bring your water into the dining room; you need to buy.
During the game drives with only my spouse and me, bottles of water were available everyday. Between the 2 of us, we were consuming 3 bottles per day. After the 3rd day, the cooler which was still almost full the previous day, only had 4 bottles left. I think the driver hid the rest and planned to ration it. I did not think 3 bottles for 2 people were excessive. We bought from the lodge as needed. Cost the driver some of his tips.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 05:35 AM

On our private safari to Tanzania this year, all of our bottled water was provided. I wouldn't take the nalgene bottle...you'd only have to buy bottled water to fill it up because you can't drink the tap water. So I agree with atravelynn...the bottle from home would only take up room.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 04:05 PM

My husband and I were on safari in Tanzania in October and one of the camps we stayed at was the Mwagusi. I hate to complain, but I will anyway!
They are really stingy there.
They made you pay for everything fluid and they don't tell you when you first arrive. After dinner the employees come around the table with this ledger book as you're talking to other guests
and want to add up everything you've had to drink that day. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but am I the only one who thinks that's extremely tacky?