8 weeks to Zambia - List

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8 weeks to Zambia - List

OK - Some of us are 8 weeks out or less for our upcoming Zambia adventure. I'm starting another thread dealing with various sundry items because franly, I am too excited to think straight at this point. Right now I'm thinking about the big picture so, I have:

Meds- Cipro, Malarone, Xanax (for sleeping on plane) immodium, pepto, ibuprofen. (FWIW: My insurance fully covered all meds!) (Sunscreen, bug stuff, of course, but at this point I'm more worried about bigger things)

Paperwork: Passport, airline tickets/printouts, Travelguard travel insurance, Should I make copies of all this stufff and keep them at home? I suppose that makes sense. What else do I need? How do you all carry your cash? I hate money belts! This is a start. Please give us May Zambia folks some help!

Thank you!
Sharon
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:23 PM

Take an antihistamine just in case you get some type of mild allergic reaction to something.

I'm very excited for you cooncat.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:41 PM

With respect to money belts. I hate them also. I'm planning on wearing a very flat fanny pack made for money, etc. on my June trip to Tanzania, Kenya & Rwanda. I suppose I'll have to wear it the entire trip, since unfortunately I have to carry a lot of cash. (Don't we all!)
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:40 PM

make 2 copies of your passport, credit cards, air tickets etc. Leave one at home or with someone who will be home if you need to call them, put one in the bag that you won't be carrying the originals in.
I got the over the neck money holders but left it and the cash at the bottom of my backpack, which I had with me at all times. Then put it all in a plastic ziplock and bury it under all your stuff in the backpack.
Don't forget a journal and pens, and I assume all your camera gear and batteries are together and ready to go.
A small torch (flashlight)
Bring some string to tie up the bamboo blinds at LRL, the rooms are very dark. I used those things that you put on sunglasses to wear over your neck (my mind went blank on what you call them)
Pair of flip-flops to wear at the pool at siesta time.
Disposable (cheap poncho) the camps should provide but you'll want one to put your backpack in if it rains. Everything in mine was soaked (passport, cash, etc.) on the one drive that it rained, and I had forgotten to put it in a ziplock.
Small tube of travel soap for your unmentionables.
Small bottle of shampoo. Tafika was the only camp that supplied real shampoo.
A couple of 2 gallon zip-lock bags for your dirty clothes en route to the next camp.
I'm sure I'll think of more and will let you know. 8 weeks!!! WOO HOO
Dennis
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:56 PM

Bring plenty of change...maybe $200 in $1 bills, and then any other money you have in $5's. $10's and $20's.

I made the mistake of not bringing enough small change to Tanzania and it ended up costing me as I sometimes overtipped. I don't mind being generous for good service, but I tipped more than I wanted for mediocre service a couple times.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:38 PM
bat

cooncat--so 8 weeks and counting--that is great. For money, credit card, passport I purchased a travelor's belt wallet/pouch from Travelsmith (khaki, no less), the kind to wear externally. It was lightweight and had a metal wire in the belt part.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:39 PM
bat

BTW, sarvowinner gave great advice to bring lots of anti-bacterial wet wipes--we used them alot (of course, we were in hot, dry, dusty conditions--but the anti-bacterial part comes in handy in any weather conditions).
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:26 PM

Sharon - thanks for starting this thread - I'm 6 weeks out, and really ready to start putting things in bags, etc. Excited? Nah, not me...HAHAHAHAHA
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 05:58 AM

Thank you everyone, truly appreciate it, and thanks for the well wishes.

I don't know why but I am not as confident about the packing and remembering everything for this trip. For Europe I don't give it second thought. Of course, with ATMs and shops at every corner, there are no worries! So - Rocco and others brought up the tips, money, etc... thank you. And I asked about the money belt. Will it be best for me to carry all my cash and important papers in my camera backpack at all times? (I'm talking about during the actual safari time, not airports, etc.)Dennis had his bag stolen from his tent, so that's why I wonder. I'm used to playing things pretty loose when I travel, actually, so this "protecting my stuff" thing is a bit daunting. (Of course I usually am not walking around with thousands of dollars worth of camera gear on my back... ;-)
Anyway, thanks for letting me ramble. I am likely to be doing this from time to time so please keep checking this thread if you have anything to add or are curious about where my head is at on any given day. It could be entertaining if nothing else!! ShortSharon - I can't believe you're only 6 weeks out! And Leely, you're not too far behind yourself...
Thanks again - you all are so great!!!
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 08:22 AM

Cooncat,
We had a mini backpack (purse sized) that we would bring everywhere with us. It held our valuables and my meds. along with wipes and stuff we'd need for the drive. We also brought our camera bag everywhere including dinner as well.
Both the camera bag and the small backpack could fit into our larger backpacks in the event that we were only allowed 1 backpack (carry on) pp on flights.
If you wear glasses bring an extra. I trashed 1 pr. reading glasses an a pr. of sunglasses.
I brought a headscarf (one of those cheap cotton jobs) to either use as a headband or as a scarf for dust and wind while driving. Also good for around the neck when cold.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 12:32 PM

Thanks Sharon for asking the question......we too are only 6 weeks until departure. We leave 6 weeks from today!
I don't really have anything helpful to add as I am also trying to decide about how to care for money, etc. I am leaving copies of important paperwork at home to be accessible if needed.
I hadn't planned to take shampoo, but Dennis mentioned that Tafika was the only camp to have real shampoo. What was provided at the other camps?
I also am having more difficulty than usual with packing......so keep rambling!!
Looking forward to seeing you and Short Sharon ---I'm short too, I'm afraid---and Esmeralda at Chiawa!!
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 12:47 PM

All great suggestions on packing. I like a sunscreen lip balm in every pants pocket. Even at home. Two pairs of reading glasses were mentioned. I bring 3 pairs of inexpensive sunglasses in case they are broken or lost. I've given them as gifts to guides near the end of the safari, along with the tip.

Speaking of tips, you can bring a few envelopes to put the tips in. Some camps even provide them.

I put my toothpaste in a zipped ziplock and keep it stored there since an unsecured tube was once nibbled on by a small creature in the tent while I was out. That was before Mombo was 6-paw, so I'm sure it would never happen there now.

Bring one copy of the crucial documents with you and keep them separate from the real thing. Leave the other copy at home.

Good insurance to cover everything!

If you are marking a map, a highlighter works well.

The suggestion of many, many ones is right on.

How exciting as the time approaches. Looking forward to future ramblings as your departure nears.

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 01:15 PM
sandi

Dennis - Those eyeglass thingies are called "leashes".

Sharon - Wrap a good amount of duck tape around a marker or highlighter... good to hold/repair things. A small scissor (even those from travel sewing kits work) for cutting the tape. Or your teeth, though duck tape ain't masking tape. The nail clipper you have for your plastic ties will work also. Have extra plastic ties or locks to secure bags when you leave your tent/room.

I have my backpack with me at all times. Though don't always take the camera when at dinner. It goes into my duffle bag or hidden somewhere in the tent/room. So far, been lucky... it's always been then when return. However, I do remove the digital media and keep that with me.

Tipping - of course, lots of small denominations, especially the $1s. I rarely carry more than $20s. The $50s are used for my visas only; and my limo carfare to/from airport in NY.

Being somewhat anal about my journals, I take a few small pads for all my notes, then transfer into the journal once I'm back home. Part of the reason it took forever for me to post my trip report last year.

And I always take my own shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, etc... won't depend on camp/hotel to have. It's difficult enough dealing with hard water, why torture myself otherwise. Most everything can be find in travel size or pour your own into small plastic bottles.

Copies of all your docs, one set kept separate from your originals and a set with someone back home who is contactable should the need arise.

Have your mail held at the PO or have a neighbor pick-up; stop newspaper deliveries; check your water supply if traveling in winter months (cracked pipes and floods aren't pleasant). Set some lights to turn on and off with a timer, even leave a TV on. Never leave message on answering machine that you're not home, rather "not available."

That's about all I can think about this late in the day.

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 01:16 PM

Thanks again - all good stuff! glad you're into ramblings, Lynn!

Tigerpaw- I thought you were closer to being on my schedule. Holy cow. Six weeks just seems right around the corner. Did you ever hear back on the electricity converter issue? I think I'll be needing one to charge my Epson P2000. Do tell please!
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 03:36 PM

Cooncat-
Don't forget the most important thing to take care of...getting a really good petsitter for your precious MC kitties while you're away!! ;-)

You won't need a converter for the Epson P2000. It's made to run on both 110 and 220/240 volts. All you need is the adapter plug for whatever country you're in.

And take both Mastercard and Visa with you. I found out the hard way while in Rwanda, contrary to their commercials, Visa is NOT everywhere you want to be!
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 04:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Great suggestions here!

You can also email copies of your passport and important papers to yourself and as long as you can access your email you can retrieve them.

We carried a lawn size trash bag to put the camera bag in for dust/rain.

My cash (I always carry at least a hundred in $1's and a couple hundred in $5's and $10's and a couple of hundred in $20's) in a backpack that I carry everywhere. I would rather carry extra money home than run out. (I've run out twice and had my credit cards disappear once.) I keep the big stash of cash in the bottom of the backpack and a small amount in a zippered make-up type bag where it's easy to get to. The backpack becomes part of me.

I carry a set of masterlocks and lock the luggage that I leave in my room. I use plastic ties on the luggage through the airport. If you forget nail clippers to open your suitcase, matches or cig lighter will burn/break the plastic ties easily.

I always get sinus headaches so I take plenty of those pills.

It's great to be so close to your date that you can begin the countdown!
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 04:26 PM

Of course, the trash bag! Thanks for mentioning that Sundowner. I never leave home without it and it has come in handy for so many different uses over the years.
Takes up almost no room before it is used.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 05:17 PM

Sharon,
Yes, you will be just beginning your safari at Chiawa and we will be ending ours.
Regarding the power converter and adapter question.....I have an old set with several different adapters and 2 converters. We have only 1 battery charger and my husbands electric razor that would require the converter (50W). The other chargers are dual 110-220/240 so will only require adapters. I did order a couple extra adapters--the British style--in order to charge more than one battery at a time.
In my first aid kit in addition to the basics, I always take some Cold-eze and extra vitamin C and echinaeca in case I start to feel as though I am catching a cold. Especially since the early morning and evening game drives will possibly be cold and windy. Have never used Airborne, but am thinking of getting some to take prior to the flights. Has anyone used it before?
I'm not really a hypochondriac----just want to do all I can to stay healthy during the trip!!
Thanks
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 06:04 PM

One other important money issue for those carrying U.S. Dollars...

Make sure that your paper currency is the newest issue with the larger photos of the dead presidents. Many places will not accept the older issued currency as it is more likely to be counterfeit.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 06:17 PM

thanks for the tip, Rocco - that's one I never even considered!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -