Search

4 nights in Capetown

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 nights in Capetown

We plan on doing the great white shark cage
dive for 2 days and would like recommendations on other must-sees as well as recommendations on accomodation. We will be flying Nairobi - Capetown; not sure of best airline for this either.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:05 AM

dankat,

I will help you with al you need to know but what I need to know from you first is why in heavens name you are spending TWO DAYS on the shark dive when it normally takes a half a day. To take two days out of four when coming to Cape Town to go shark diving truly is crazy as far as I am concerned and please bear in mind that I am telling you this as a born and raised Capetonian.

Please try and pass on details as to why, where and how you intend doing your shark adventure.

Furthermore for anybody to advise you as to what to do in Cape Town it is important to want to know when you are travelling to Cape Town so could you tell us this too.

Lets hear your response and take things from there.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:26 PM

Is mid May a good time for the shark dive? I'll be there on 5/14 and 5/15. Must it be booked in advance or can I play it by ear? Does it leave from the V&A Waterfront or elsewhere in CPT? Thanks
Old May 2nd, 2006, 02:47 PM

panecott,

Mid May would be a good time to do the shark dive.

Nobody departs for a shark diving experience from the Waterfront. If you are looking to do the shark experience in the Cape Town region the only area where you can depart from would be from Simonstown. If you elect to start in Simonstown I would suggest that you put yourselves in the hands of Chris Fallows and his staff from African Shark Eco Charters.
(http://www.ultimate-animals.com/ ) This is in my opinion the best shark
cage diving outfit in the Cape Town region.

Enjoy your stay in our great city.

Old May 2nd, 2006, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

It was recommended that we allow 4 days as a window for the shark dive in case of poor weather conditions since we are adding it to our Kenya/Tanzania safari. We will be travelling in the month of July 2007. Hope this helps.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:09 PM

dankat,

I would agree that if you want to go on a sharkdive you are going to be weather dependant especially in the month of July. With that said you should decide on what is more important for you to want to do viz. visit and see Cape Town or come to Cape Town for what is virtually only a shark dive? If you opt for the latter I think you will be making a HUGE error but thats my way of thinking and could well not be yours.

What most people who do a shark dive in Cape Town do is they book a day and hope for the best that the day will be good. They also try and do the dive early in their stay so that they could have other days available to them in case they miss the first dive. In your case it seems as if you are going to be away from Cape Town for the shark dive meaning that you could be sitting around in Gansbaai or wherever awaiting good weather which might well not arrive at all in July. If this is the case then I think you will be making an error in your planning.

Questions:

1.Where are you doing the sharkdive as this has major impact on what you will have time to see in Cape Town.

2.What standard and type of accommodation are you looking for.

3.How many people are in your group?

If you answer the above I will try and help you further.

Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:47 PM

Thank you, Selwyn.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:26 PM

Selwyn
Hi from richard and me. richard graduates next month and goes on to start his PhD in sept.
Gillian
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:13 PM

Hi Philbill,

Gillian its amazing that Richard is just about on his way to his PhD. Anyway if he ever comes back to Cape Town then tell him to steer clear of sharkdiving or things could happen equivalent to the picture of him and a hippo on your tour page at http://www.ilovecapetown.com/tours/k...t/klinkert.htm

For those of you regulars who know of PhilBill's writings on this page go take a look at the website so as to see who she is.

There is a thread running on this webpage at the moment about being addicted to the Fodors page. There have been many threads that have run about being addicted to Africa. Gillian and Richard were in Cape Town in September 2005 and are still talking about their African experience. They are prime examples of that fact that there is no question that Africa becomes part of you when you visit our continent. ;-)

Anyway back to the shark diving so dankat lets hear your answers to my questions so that we can help your further.

Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

1. Gansbaai
2. 4- 5 star
3. 2 adults.

We begin our African trip with a 17 day safari in Kenya/Tanzania and wanted to end the trip by flying to S.A. for an additional 4 nights to include the great white shark cage dive.