4 night botswana safari

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 night botswana safari

Help please, I'm confused. I have been reading all the posts and now don't know what to do. My husband just got a business trip to South Africa for October. Late notice for a safari. We would like to do 4 nights, 5 days in Botswana at two camps. Any suggestions if we should stay just near Moremi and Okavango Delta or try to get to Linyanti as well. Land camp vs water camp suggestions?

Thanks
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 10:35 AM

srocca,

Your confusion may result from so many good choices.

Since you mentioned Moremi and Okavango, a top of the line combo would be Mombo (land) and Jao (water). I've not been to Jao, but can attest to the wonderful game at Mombo.

Less expensive would be Chitabe (land) and Little Vumbura or Jacana (water). I'll be going to Chitabe and L. Vum. You can spend a night on a raised platform, then do a walking safari at Chitabe. A nice option that I'll be doing.

These are all Wilderness camps.

Two Sanctuary camps are Stanley's (where you can walk with elephants, though I've not done it yet) and Chief's on Chief's Island in Moremi.

Also CCAfrica camps--Sandibe and Nxabega, both in the delta with Sandibe offering more of a land camp. Never been there.

Have a great time, wherever you end up.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 04:17 PM

when you say 4 nights 5 days, you should just know that the way safari camps are set up is highly structured. it's not as though you can "get a late check out."

if you go for 4 nights, that means essentially 4 full days.

you generally arrive at lunch and go out in the afternoon and then the last day will depart at the same time you came (basically working out to one game activity the arrival day, one the departure day).

you may already be aware of this, but perhaps that will be helpful in planning, and perhaps you will want to add another pair of days somewhere since 4 nights = 4 days on safari.

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 04:31 PM

Here is a link to a discussion of the Okavango or Linyanti, entitled:

Botswana - Linyanti vs. Okavango

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34617660
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 01:00 AM

A lot will depend on where in SA you'll be based as travelling time could eat into your safari experience time quite a lot.

Even from Johannesburg you'd be looking at a fairly long flight to Maun before connecting to a flight to your first camp.

Likewise you'd lose some time coming back too.

As has been mentioned it's like you get to choose exactly what time you leave the camps either as the flights are arranged so that they can transfer most passengers between most camps using fewest flights.

For example, you might find that you have to be collected at 2.00pm because they have two passengers in the plane already being dropped off at your camp and then you're going to fly via another camp to collect another couple who are heading to the same place as you... and when the plane drops you and them off finally it has to pick another group up at a particular time...

Two camps for 2 nights each would certainly provide a more varied experience but your other option might be to stay all 4 nights at a camp that can offer both land based activities (drives, walks etc) as well as water-based activities (mokoro, boat etc). I don't know if there are many camps that can offer this in October as I haven't travelled at that time.

Certainly in June, Tubu Tree was a great camp offering both land and water activities - small, intimate, very comfortable, excellent guides, warm staff and good food too.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 03:25 AM

What about Oddballs in The Okavango?
have a look at this from www.dumelabotswana.com/maun.htm
Day 1 :Arrive at Maun Airport where you will be met by your pilot for the +-25 minute light aircraft flight over the Okavango Delta to Oddballs Camp.This flight is an experience in itself, affording superb aerial views of the Delta and its Wildlife.
At Oddballs you will be accommodated in a 2m x 2m domed tent set on a raised wooden platform with mattresses and pillows provided, please bring your own sleeping bags and towels.

After lunch - You will go out with your Guide for either a mokoro excursion or a walking safari. Dinner that evening is taken in the Dining Room overlooking the River, to the accompaniment of the sounds of the African nightlife.

Day 2 & 3 :You will collect all your camping equipment and a hamper of food from the store and accompanied by your Guide will go out on Mokoro Trail, your Guide will find a suitable camping spot in the 'bush' close to the water, and assist you to set up camp. Whilst on Mokoro Trail your food is provided, but you will be responsible for its preparation.

Day 4 : Another early morning safari, then return to Oddballs for lunch, and a rest before going out again for a mokoro excursion. You may also be interested in visiting the nearby village. Your Guide will be proud to show you his home and introduce you to his Family, a unique experience, especially if this is your first visit to Africa.

Day 5: An early morning walking safari, breakfast a rest and after lunch back to the airstrip for your short light aircraft flight into Maun