Reload this Page >

24 hrs in Jo'burg - where to stay, what to see

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Mary

We are thinking of the Grace in Rosebank or Mount Grace in the mtns. How far is Mt. Grace from the airport? Is there anything worth seeing in Jo'burg that we should stay near the city to see? Soweto? <BR><BR>Thanks for the feedback.<BR>Mary

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Lisa Waverley

If I am thinking of the same hotel, the Mt Grace is in Magaliesburg which is probably at least an hour and a half's drive from the airport. While it is a superb facility I think it is too far for a 24 hour stay.<BR>There are companies that do tours of Joahnnesburg and I think that would be your best bet, rather than trying to do it on your own. Perhaps one of the locals can come up with a reputable recommendation.<BR><BR>When are you going?

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Michael

The Westcliff is my hotel of choice in Johannesbury, but I have also visited, though not stayed, at The Michelangelo which is very nice, and probably better located since its right on Sandton Square. Of course, Soweto is important to see -- a much more honest reflection of much of Africa than the game reserves, and you can visit safely with an organized tour.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 10:01 PM
Mary

We are going in mid April. I think if we stayed at the Mt Grace in Magaliesburg we would not plan to try to see Jo'burg but just enjoy the countryside. However, after a 10 days on safari maybe the urban scene would be welcome. The Westcliff sounds terrific but may be a bit over the top if we are out most of the time sightseeing. Do we need a car if we stay in say Sandton or Rosebank?

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 03:06 AM
traci

Hi Mary<BR>I'm going to try to summarise and answer all the points raised:<BR>1. The Westcliff is stunning, and very, very posh. It's up to you but for one night and judging from your comments about what you may be interested in I'd suggest something else<BR>2. Mount Grace is lovely - excellent chef, it is a top class hotel and the grounds are lovely. Direct from the airport to the hotel is 1.5 to 2 hours depending on the time of day. I also think this is a bit far for just one night - but it is ideal if you just want to relax.<BR>3. If you are looking for hustle and bustle after so long in the bush I suggest something in Rosebank or Sandton. I have not stayed at the Grace in Rosebank but all reports are good and it is the same group as Mount Grace - so the standards will apply. The vibe of Rosebank will be literally on your doorstep, if you are around on a Sunday the rooftop market is great. Otherwise, there is a small rooftop market and craft shop open through the week.<BR>4. There are 6 hotels of varying services and price range around the Sandton/Sandton Square area (The Hilton, Balalaika, Holiday Inn, Michelangelo, Sandton Sun Intercontinental and Sandton Sun Towers)<BR>You can walk safely from all of these to the Sandton Square and into Sandton City. This is really a retail fest, I guess it depends on what you are looking for.<BR>6. Soweto is vast so if you are going to take a tour it will probably take up a full day, so choose this if you are not interested in anthing else.<BR>7. A suggestion for something different - if you're okay with dark, closed spaces why not visit Gold Reef City and take a trip down a mineshaft? I would not recommend spending much time there as the rest of the attractions are really just an amusement park - (although it also houses the Apartheid Museum) but being able to say that you went into a gold mine would be something.<BR>8. If you are staying in Sandton/Rosebank I think you will only need a car if you want to go to Gold Reef City.<BR>

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 08:08 AM
Mary

Traci,<BR>Well done, thanks for the advice on all counts. Mt Grace requires a 2-night stay so we will be staying in Jo'burg. I may try to find a smaller hotel/guesthouse in Rosebank than a highrise type that the Sandton area seems to have. I didn't realize Soweto would be a whole day. My agent offered to arrange a tour or Jo'berg - I'll see what she has to offer.<BR><BR>Mary

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 12:49 PM
Sheila

A tip for booking hotels in JNB. Contact the hotel reservations manager and bargain for the best price. I managed to talk them down to 1/2 price (off the discount price) for a July stay. Bargaining with the luxury hotels should be the easiest.