Search

Binoculars?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2019, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Binoculars?

Can anyone suggest the good binoculars for safari rides? What else I have to pack for the trip?
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 07:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
For a packing list, you may want to look at this thread

Most vehicles will have a pair of binos to share. I have my own but didn't take them once and didn't even notice. There really wasn't anything far off that I needed them for. I don't remember what I have, but you'll want a compact pair that doesn't take up a lot of your already small luggage allowance!
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 10:03 AM

Nikon ProStaff 3s are fairly lightweight and are waterproof/ fogproof. Relatively low cost for decent binoculars. Get 8x42s.

Buy from somewhere you can return them if they don't work for you. You may find them at places like Best Buy, REI etc.

I disagree about not having your own set of binoculars.
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip
Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Is there any specific binoculars for women? If there are any someone please suggest me the good one for women. Thank you.
Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 10:11 AM

There’s really no binoculars that are specifically for women. You should really go to a reputable outdoor store like Bass Pro Shops, Cabella’s or REI where you can actually handle and try out several different makes and models before you buy to see which ones you are most comfortable using. I’ve found the staff ats at both Bass Pro and Cabella’s are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Binoculars come one in a wide variety of sizes, lens configurations, shapes, and price ranges. By trying them you can choose the one that best works for YOU. If your budget allows consider purchasing one with “image stabilizer” lens. For our safari we found binoculars with 10x45 lenses worked well. We have an Image Stabilized Canon and a regular Nikon that we are very happy with.

Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 03:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
These are mine These are mine
They are compact and fine for me (as a woman). I stick with my statement though that I don't think it's horrible if you don't have them. 95% of the sightings I have on safari have been so close that binoculars are useless (disclaimer: I'm not a birder, so they don't matter to me). On the odd occasion I did need them, my guide lets me use his.
Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 05:34 PM

No not specific to women but they'd be more fitted to how close together your eyes are and whether you wear glasses. Some will just fit your hand better than others. Lightweight is always nice. I'd always get fog proof ones if you intend to use them in places like jungles and where it might rain.

For someone not used to binoculars trying to use 10x can make it harder to find the object since they have a narrow field of view. Being able to focus quickly can be important as can being able to see well in low light. Another reason to get some you can return.

I've never bought binoculars from a brick and mortar store. Usually they can't carry much of a range. I read the online ratings and check different online stores to see who has the best price. Sometimes you can find an open box model. Although that's only going to matter if you're spending upwards of $800 or so.

If you want to stay under $200 there are several good options that are widely carried. Vortex and Celestron make pretty good affordable ranges if you don't want to go top of the line like Zeiss or Swarovski. Try not to go under $100 or you may find blurry binoculars that don't hold up for more than a few years.

Last edited by mlgb; Apr 3rd, 2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

I'm also thinking about the Vortex Optics 10*42. But got confused with a list I found online which is referring as 10 best binoculars for women. Can anyone suggest the best one from this list? And I'm not saying these are the only best. Thank you.

Last edited by dalesrejo; Apr 4th, 2019 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 04:48 PM

The following should be pretty widely available for you to try.. maybe even Best Buy, REI or other sporting goods stores. As I mentioned I prefer 8x bins for a wider field of view, vs 10x . I would forget this "best for women thing".

Vortex Diamondback for around $200

Nikon Monarch 5 for around $250-$300

Celestron Nature DX for around $150.

I don't have any idea what the website you linked is about?