Search

2 free days in Cairo - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 free days in Cairo - What to do?

Hi,

I will be traveling to Cairo on Business. I arrive early on a Monday morning, then have the day on Monday free, work on Tuesday then have Wednesday and Thursday free, departing very late Thursday night. I'm staying at the Conrad.

I would love some suggestions on how best to spend my time. Obviously I want to see the pyramids, but is there any other day trip of note that I should go for?

Thanks!

Donna
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 09:19 AM

The thing that I regret missing while in Cairo was seeing the Al-Tannoura Egyptian Heritage Dance Troupe in the Madrassa of Al-Ghouri in Islamic Cairo. It's a display of raqs ash-shaqi - Sufi dancing.
They perform on Wed and Sat night. Admission is free but get there early as it's hard to get in. I know because we raced like crazy back from Alex on a Wed and didn't make it in.

The pyramids and Egyptian Museum are obligatory and wonderful. Other sites: The Citadel, Coptic Cairo, some of the great mosques or Saqqara and Memphis for a 1/2 day out of the city. We had fun shopping for textiles in the tent-makers bazaar near the ancient gate of Bab Zuweila.
Too many choices for a few days but you'll have a grand time and sensory overload!
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 10:42 AM

On my first business trip to Cairo, I also had a few free days, and I used one to make a day trip to Luxor, taking the earliest flight to, and latest flight from, Luxor. In a full day, you can view the Valleys of the Kings and Queens, Karnak Temple and a few other sites. That would be my No. 1 day trip.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Wow, great suggestion. Did you take a guided tour of Luxor? If so, which one? Thanks for the Sufi Dancing suggestion - I will check that out as well.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 08:22 PM

When I landed in Luxor, I hired a taxi for the day (it was very reasonable), and he drove me from site to site, and waited for me. If you pick up the Loney Planet, you won't need a guide -- anyway a guide would slow you down since they like to impart their wealth of detailed knowledge.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 03:19 PM

Your business associates or hotel in Cairo probably could help you with the Sufi Dancing & Luxor trip.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info - is it best to just book the arrangements when I'm there?
Old May 4th, 2007, 10:00 AM

<<We had fun shopping for textiles in the tent-makers bazaar near the ancient gate of Bab Zuweila.>>

Queen,
That sounds interesting. How can the textiles be used? Table cloths, wall hangings ...

Did you buy? How are the prices?

Thanks.
Old May 5th, 2007, 04:21 AM

We bought pillow covers and wall hangings in unique applique patterns done by hand by only the men. Bigger pieces could be used on tables or as spreads. You can actually buy a tent if you have the need. Very good prices and memorable experience.
Old May 5th, 2007, 06:06 AM

Thank you. Sounds like something I'd like to do.