2 days in wine lands

Feb 28th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

2 days in wine lands

Iíll be in Cape Town in April. I'd like to take a 2 day/1 night trip to the wine lands. My questions are:

1. How to get around? Iím not used to driving on their side of the road, so I am not going to rent a car. Thus I will need transport to-from Cape Town, as well as a way to get to various wineries.

2. What would be a nice place to stay overnight? My budget for lodging is about $200 US (about 1170 Rand).

3. Are there any particular wineries that you would recommend? (I like both red and white wines.)
Mar 1st, 2005, 09:44 AM

Our favorite winery visits were Thelema and Rust en Vrede. Both settings were gorgeous and the wine excellent, especially the Rust en Vrede -- we've been ordering a case each year since we've been there!
Mar 1st, 2005, 10:50 AM

1.) Bite the bullet and rent the car. The guys at Value Car Hire were perfect - especially if you pay for their drop off / pickup service (approx 13 USD more). Mini little Toyaota Tazz for about $30/day. I've never driven on the left let alone shifted with my left hand - but it was easy to pick up - and the traffic is VERY light in the winelands. Just getting out of Cape Town was tricky - but simple if you just take it slow and easy - a snap with a little patience/concentration. Seriously, don't let it scare you. Once you are out on in the winelands its well worth it as I'm not sure how you would go see vineyards unless you were on a pre-arranged tour (booh...). Exploring on your own is part of the fun/charm and its your scehdule not anyone elses. It is about 1 hour from Cape Town to Franschhoek, which is where I would reccommend going. One highway and then one exit off of it for a bit longer - so easy to get to - you'll run right into it. Also the town is nice and compact - great for your time-frame in terms of walking the streets, shopping, eating. The restaurants are outstanding, some beyong outstanding.

2.)As recommended so many times b4 on this site, try and stay at the Plumwood Inn. Keepers are super nice, as is the setup. Close to everything for walking at night.

3.) I agree with Rust in Vrede, also Haut Cabriere, Dieu Donne, Boschendal, and if you head towards Stellenbosch check out Ernie Els' winery for the sheer beauty - although his wine is $$$$$.

Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:27 AM

Hi Chloe55 - I've just registered, saw your message and wondered whether u have made your decision. Please don't miss out on the winelands. A tour would be an excellent introduction - there are many. Try contacting [email protected] or [email protected].
There are many, many B&B's in the winelands, upmarket hotels and smaller hotels. If you would like more info, please contact me at [email protected]

Hope you love this part of the country as much as every other visitor does.
Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:29 AM

psymom, Thanks for the references. I've thought of doing a similar 2-day trip but did not know where to start.

Search this Thread