Another "what to do in" CPT question

Aug 30th, 2004, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Another "what to do in" CPT question

I read the guide books, the old messages and all that, but I still have a problem. I can't choose the best options for 2 days in Capetown in mid Oct. We'll have the w/e there (arr Friday night, fly out Sunday eve) and can't decide what's the best activity options. We'll have a car, and being from the US, a couple of hour drive is not an issue. We will have already done the safari thing.

Here's the shortlist:
1. Shark dive at Gansbaii - pros are it's different, cons are not guaranteed to get sharks and it takes a whole day.
2. Obviously Table mtn and the city.
3. Robbins Island & the V&A
4. Cape peninsula/penguins and all that stuff
5. The wine region, likely either Stellenbosch or Franschhook (I hope I spelled that right)
6. Cape Agulhas - not much to see I understand, but it would be cool to say we'd been there.

We'll have already had a flight over the ocean for the whale watching thing, so Hermanus isn't necessary (although we could stop on the way back from Gansbaii I guess).
Thought about the helicopter tours around the cape or to the vineyards, but they look a bit lame. Flying jets seemed cool too until I saw the cost.

So given that we have really only a day and a half, but a weeks worth of activities, anyone who's already been care to venture an opinion as to what should be top of the list?
Aug 30th, 2004, 05:10 AM
sandi

If you want to do the White Shark diving, you should do the first day - not good to fly within 24-hrs of diving. As to Table Mountain, it is often covered with a tablecloth of clouds, so you might not even be able to do this. Though if on the 2nd morning you see the mountain clear, do this first thing, then you can continue with the 2nd days activities.

If you've been to wine country in other countries, but if you have specific interest in SA wines, and Cape Dutch architecture and the various towns - then go for this, but it doesn't have to be a full day.

V&A waterfront can be visited on either of the evenings you are in CPT.

A half-day city tour, especially District 6 and the Malay can be done after the winelands.

The trip down to the Peninsula w/ stop to see the penguins, really is pretty much a full day with a lovely lunch along the way.

So you can see that 2-days just isn't enough time to fully enjoy this beautiful city.

Aug 30th, 2004, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

It's not 'real' diving - they shove you in a cage and you go down about 2 ft. Most of the operators there only want you to have a resort course, you don't even need to show a certification card (which we both have) so I'm not really worried about decompression sickness - epecially at that depth...

I agree that it's not enough time, but the timings are fixed. It's just what we do there that's up for grabs.
Aug 30th, 2004, 05:59 AM
OSC

If you only have 2 days in Cape Town, I would focus on options 2, 3 and 4. Although the wine region is great, we found that many of the wineries were closed on the weekend. However that was 2 years ago, so things might have changed, but I would look into this first.
We also tried to do the shark "dive" and were very unlucky not to see any sharks. The day would have been well worth it if we had seen sharks, but with so much to see in Cape Town, we really wish we had spent more time in the city.
Sep 2nd, 2004, 06:12 PM

We saw the sharks and really enjoyed the experience. That said with only two days in Capetown I wouldn't spend one of them doing shark diving. There is too much else to do. Don't worry you will be so hooked on the place that you will be planning your next trip back right away. Save the diving for when you have more time. Try to do Table Mountain, the Cape and Boulders. I think you can even squeeze in the wine country on your Table Mountain day. Go to Table Mountian early if it is clear, climb around for a couple of hours and head out to the wine country for a wander. Then go to dinner at one of the fine restaurants in the area. It maybe a late night but what the heck, you only have two days, Enjoy!

Search this Thread