Search

18 on Crox - Cape Town

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
18 on Crox - Cape Town

I just spent 10 days at this guest house in Cape Town and would highly suggest that you seriously consider it on your next visit. It's located in the Green Point neighborhood at the foot of Signal Hill - a safe 15 minute walk from the V&A.

The owners are incredibly attentive and you will leave 18 on Crox wishing you could have paid them more money -- it sounds odd, but you will see what I mean.

This place is awesome! And the rates are incredible. And thier guest house is about to get even better.

Cool little cafe just around the corner - you have to go there for some Malva pudding.

If you don't believe how great this place is check out TripAdvisor, FlyerTalk and thier homepage (hint -- it's the name of the hotel with a .com)

These guys ROCK!
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:27 PM
mad

I'll second that recommendation. We stayed there last month for a couple nights and thought it was amazing- wish we had stayed longer.
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, bradfordm,

could you help those of us who are about to go to CPT, [in my case with DH, and 2 large kids] with what you did, where you ate, tips, etc. etc?

thanks a lot,

regards, ann
Old May 17th, 2007, 09:46 PM

We are leaving on May 28th for Cape Town and will be there 4 days. Restaurant suggestions would be appreciated. We are spending 2 days with Selwyn and then 2 on our own. Have not decided on our alone days yeet as to what to do. Suggestions anyone. With him we are doing the Wine area, township tour etc.and whatever else he decides, and one day the pennisula tour and table mountain etc.
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:13 AM
mad

If you can get tix to tour Robben Island, it's a worthwhile visit. You'll need to call them to make a reservation at least one week in advance.
Old May 18th, 2007, 10:47 PM

spigeljs - have a look at our local tourism board - www.cape-town.org/capetour_web/tourindex.htm

We are having big issues with the officila Robben Island ferry - my husband seems to think its not running but check out Captour.
I am sitting here writing to you looking out at the most enormous storm - rain everywhere - its wonderful and yet yeterday was so hot I had lunch on the patio of the Vineyard hotel in Claremont looking at the mountain and the gardens - wonderful place.
Do pack for all weathers. It will be cold and wet, and it will be warm, but not hot. We are a peninsula so we get the weather from all sides so to speak. However, winter is my favourite time of year and you will have a wonderful time.
Do not do Robben Island or the townships if the weather is bad.
Check out the waterfront - great way to spend some shopping and eating time - their web sitewww.waterfront.co.za

Look at our big theatre/ opera house - Carmen the ballet is starting as you arrive - it will be wonderful you can book tickets on line www.artscape.co.za

Let me know if you want to know anything else
Old May 19th, 2007, 05:31 AM

hi, capetownfolk,

thanks for coming on board - it looks like you can answer quite a lot of qs I've been saving up, in the hope someone could answer them.

In fact, the main one about clothing, you've already addressed. I keep looking at the 5 day forecast, for Cornwall [UK] where I live, and CPT, and at the moment, there's not much difference! so I guess for the end of July [last 2 weeks] we'll need wet-weather and cool weather gear. also hats, scarves and gloves for early morning safaris [3 days near Port elizabeth at the end of the trip]

Thanks you for the link to artscape - I've signed up for their newsletters. ditto the Baxter. But so far I've been unable to find any theatre or musical events for when we'll be in CPT, [18-22/7/07] and the Computicket web-site is dire. [interests are theatre, music and rugby]. we've only really got 3 nights, but it would be nice to see something.

I'm so looking forward to seeing CPT, storms or no storms - and in C'wall we have a few of those.

regards, ann
Old May 19th, 2007, 07:25 AM

CapeTownFolk, I have very many fond memories of The Vineyard Hotel from a visit years ago-happy to hear it's still there and wonderful.
Old May 19th, 2007, 08:16 AM

bradfordm,

Thanks very much for the tip on "18 on Crox". I have never visited this guesthouse before and am now going to do so as it looks like a great place to stay. Furthermore judging from the recommendations in this thread the establishment lives up to its promises. Off the top of my head the place looks slightly pricey relative to what surrounding guesthouses like David's and Cape Standard offer but then it seems as if it has a very personal touch about it and this can make all the difference immaterial of price. Will report back to this forum once I have visited and reccied the venue.

-----------

CapeTownFolk,

You wrote:

"Do not do Robben Island or the townships if the weather is bad"

I have to disagree with this statement as far as not doing a township tour if it rains. I have conducted so many sucsesful township tours in the rain that I just cant understand your reasoning?

I agree with one not doing Robben Island in the rain however therein lies another trick. It is <b>not</b> a problem to visit Robben Island in light rain. In the Winter, when most visitors are in doubt as to whether to go to the Island if it is raining, if one works on the formula of &quot;light rain, lets go&quot; then one generally obtains tickets quite easily in the last hour or two before the ferry leaves the harbour. I have used thisn trick on many occasions for past visitors of mine.

Overall my opinion is that when one visits Cape Town in July, August or September one simply must do ones homework and know what you will want to do in the city. Then it becomes a case of being <b>very malleable</b> and doing your planning on a daily basis using the weather and what you want to do as your guideline. Trying to do meticulous planning ahead of time in the Cape Town Winter is a sure fire way to spoil ones visit to our city as one has a very strong chance of your planning going totally haywire. In all my years of touring I have found no better way to do Winter travel in our city other than being well read as to what to do and then being malleable in your daily choices based on your knowledge gained and the weather.

Just my Cape Town twopence worth.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Old May 20th, 2007, 11:41 PM

Selwyn, you are right, it would be gteat to do a township tour inany weather, I guess I was just influenced by these incredible storms we have had this weekend - unbelievable! Also by the fact that the poster has a limited amount of time. Also agree that in winter you need to be more spontaneous - our weather changes so quickly - this Friday past would have been a great day to visit the beach, and the next day we were washed out and now I believe we have snow on the Franschoek mountains! Never broing eh?

Old May 20th, 2007, 11:55 PM

Annhig - think layers. You need to keep in mind that unlike inthe Uk mostplaces here do not have central heating so it can be cold inside unless you are sitting by a fire. The vest (they call them spencers here) is alive and well during a Cape Town winter! I have a sheepskin sleeveless waistcoat thin g - looks great with jeans and my long skirts (and i am in the clothing business!) so my body stays warm, but I don't look like the Michelin man!
PE safari - this will be very cold inthe morning and at night, but the days should be lovely and sunny - here consider one of those knitted wrap things - M&amp;S usually have them so you can bundle up or drape elegantly over your arm! Makes gret blankets for sleepy children too. PE you will need the wooly hat and gloves, bot so much in Cape Town. We really do not get as cold as the UK, and your days withus could be wonderfully warm - you never can tell
The Artscape - I see their July listings aren't up yet - keep looking - try in a few weeks time. You canalso look in the Friday and Saturday Argus (newspaper) when you get here as they have a big &quot;to do&quot; section.

Rugby is our national passion and I am rather ignorant I'm afraid - I suggest you post a specific question about rugby and see what responses you get.

let me know if I can help further. I am currently very active on the Asia forum as we are going to SE Asia for 5 weeks and I am getting the most incredible advice from Fodors, so I figure the least i can do in return is try to help anyone coming to our city
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:56 AM

Hi, capetownfolk,

thanks so much for the very helpful reply- layers do seem the way to go - same as at home [cornwall] really as it never gets that cold here either. Just wet!

if I come up with any more qs, I'll be taking you up on your very kind offer!

regards, ann

Old May 21st, 2007, 05:40 AM

Annhig - Cornwall was where I spent most of my childrhood holidays - around Looe and Polperro - wonderful place

I thought of something else for you. We have a stunning privately owned little theatre in Camps Bay - called Theatre on the Bay. We often go for an early dinner in one of the many great restaurants nearby then walk to the theatre for drinks - they have a great bar - and nice views from the upstairs terrace. You can take your glass of wine into the performance as well
Here's the link:
www.theatreonthebay.co.za

You can book through computicket or call Llewelyn at the theatre and if you have children - even big children he will give you a cheaper price for them - he is very nice.

There does not seem to be anything listed for july at the moment - I hope this is not a trend! bt maybe you can sign up for their news letter too
enjoy!
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:50 AM

hi, CPTF [love the name but too long to type each time!]

thanks for the info - unfortunately for some reason it won't let me subscribe!

Not having anything on in July seems to be a theme - obviously you're all tucked up avoiding those storms.

Glad you have such good memories of Cornwall. I never came here as a child, and was not blown away when i first visited, but in the 10 years we've lived here, it's grown on me. weather could be better to be honest, but great otherwise.

if you have any more brainwaves, please let me know!

regards, ann
Old May 21st, 2007, 10:29 AM

Love CPTF reminds me of CTFM one of our favourite restaurnats here - Cape Town Fish Market - try the waterfront branch. We Cape Town folk do tend to hibernate in winter - right now the rain is lashing down, tucked up in my huge bed testing the son on his spelling whilst husband soaks in a hot bath - afer lounging by the fire over a glass of wine with a girlfriend - she just left. We really do have things on in July - just you wait - keep an eye on the V&amp;A Waterfront site as well - oh and i also could not subscribe to the theatre on the bay site either - I shall call llew tomorrow

www.waterfront.co.za
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:29 PM

&quot;whilst husband soaks in a hot bath - afer lounging by the fire over a glass of wine with a girlfriend&quot;

Lucky guy.
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:20 PM

Hilarious - thanks for starting a cold Cape Town morning here on a giggle - clearly the glass of wine was writing last night - shall phone and check onMY girlfriend this morning - didn't think I had more than 1 glass!
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:25 PM

Glad you have a sense of humor.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:49 AM

thanks again, CTPF, I'll look out for more info on the waterfront. [I have got on their web-site!]

I had already seen info about the fish market restaurant, but don't know if we'll be able to fit it in - so much to do, so little time!

regards, ann

regards,