- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Parque Arqueológico y Natural Cerro Colorado
Parque Arqueológico y Natural Cerro Colorado Review
This small reserve well north of Ascochinga is one of Argentina's most important pre-Hispanic sites, with over 30,000 petroglyphs painted on red rock formations. The oldest date to roughly AD 800, and include pictures of llamas, condors, yaguaretés (a jaguar species that used to roam the region), and human hunters, though most of the paintings remain uninterpreted. Later works represent mounted figures, a unique indigenous record of the arrival of the conquistadores. To visit the paintings, you must take one of the three daily guided walks that leave from the Archeological Museum at the entrance to tiny Cerro Colorado village. Two fords cross the dirt road into the village, so drive carefully. While you're there, make sure to stop in the house, now museum, of Cerro Colorado's most famous son, folk legend Atahualpa Yupanqui.
- Address: 120 km (75 mi) north of Jesús María on RN9, then 10 km (6 mi) west on a dirt road north of Santa Elena, Córdoba, Córdoba 5244
- Phone: 3514/333–425
- Cost: 2 pesos
- Hours: Daily 11–7; tours at 11:30, 2:30, and 4:30.
- Location: Jesús María
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hopefully we will get a chance to post a more formal trip report later however I thought I'd post a few initial details. Read more
Thank you to everyone who posted reports and answered my questions over the past year in planning this trip.
Our story: We are a mature, newly retired Canadian couple who are well travelled and spending Read more
I have recently bought a flight to Buenos Aires and am planning to visit south America for 3 months ( May 12th to August 4th ) wooo hooo!!!! . I have less than 2 months to plan the greates Read more