- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Amtrak trains stop in Williamsburg between Newport News and Richmond, Washington, D.C., and stations to the north. There are two trains daily in each direction. At Newport News, passengers ticketed to Norfolk or Virginia Beach board a chartered bus at the station. The Williamsburg station is centrally located, sharing a building with the bus station. Service south of Richmond is slow, even for Amtrak. At Fredericksburg, Amtrak meets the Virginia Railway Express, which is cheaper, but only operates on workdays.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $519 & up -- 7-Nt. Canada & New England Cruise, Save $180 Norwegian Cruise Line