Leesburg is one of the oldest towns in Northern Virginia. Its numerous fine Georgian and Federal buildings now house offices, shops, restaurants, and homes. In an early sign of changing allegiances, "George Town" changed its name to Leesburg in 1758 to honor Virginia's illustrious Lee family. When the British burned Washington during the War of 1812, many government records, including originals of the Declaration of Independence
and the U.S. Constitution, went to Leesburg for safekeeping at the homes of Sheriff John Littlejohn and Clerk of Court Charles Binns.