Taft Museum of Art
Taft Museum of Art Review
Works by artists from around the globe are displayed in this Federal-period mansion where William Howard Taft accepted his presidential nomination in 1908. Galleries are arranged according to a chronological story line that illustrates the evolution of Western and Chinese art from the medieval period through the Industrial Revolution. The collection includes paintings by Rembrandt, Gainsborough, and Corot; Chinese porcelains; 19th-century American furniture; French Renaissance enameled plaques; jewelry; and watches. There's a formal garden on the property. A $23 million renovation and expansion in 2004 added a lecture and performance room, a café, a greatly enlarged special exhibits gallery, and classrooms and studios, while preserving the integrity of the 1820s-era home.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I booked two reservations to stay at the Hawthorn Suites North Dayton for the week of 3/18-25/13. Read more
We (4 adults) took our quick weekend trip to Cleveland (Saturday to Monday) and had a great time - many thanks to all who contributed!
Our first stop on the journey from Detroit to Cleveland was a stop Read more
My boyfriend and I have a little over a week where we are both off work/school. Read more