This plantation and grounds lie about 12 mi northwest of Charlotte, within the Latta Plantation Nature Preserve. The two-story Federal style home was built by James Latta, a traveling merchant, in 1800. Thirty-three slaves toiled on the 742-acre farm. The farm animals here are all of historically appropriate breeds. Guided tours of the home, including a video, are offered on the hour, with the last beginning at 4.