- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New York City 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Check Rates from our Partners
New York Palace Review
From the moment you enter the gilded gates of these connected mansions, originally built in the 1880s by railroad baron Henry Villard, you know you're somewhere special; there's a reason this is called the Palace. An 18-month renovation completed in late 2013 modernized this landmark property. Chic, inviting rooms are decorated in soft grays and blues. The expansive lobby with sweeping staircases and arched colonnades remains, as do rooms in the towers, a section of the hotel occupying floors 41 to 54 with particularly luxe rooms and suites (there's separate check-in, more attentive service, and a dedicated concierge). Many of the guest rooms, as well as the 7,000-square-foot health club, have terrific views of St. Patrick's Cathedral.
If ever there was a dream-come-true wedding destination, this is it. The lobby, with its sweeping staircases, golden chandeliers, and arched colonnades, and the gorgeous courtyard, with its 15th-century Italian-style motifs, is what Manhattan sophistication is all about. The ballroom is a luxurious locale for a fête; for a small affair, triplex suites have private rooftops and views of Rockefeller Center.
- Address: 455 Madison Ave., at E. 50th St. Midtown East, New York, NY 10022 | Map It
- Phone: 212/888–7000; 800/697–2522
- Website: www.newyorkpalace.com
- Subway: 6 to 51st St./Lexington Ave.; E, M to Lexington–3rd Aves./53rd St.
- Location: Midtown East
- 822 rooms, 87 suites.
- Rate includes no meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Last February 16 we were married in NYC, so this year we did a long weekend to celebrate our first anniversary.
We stayed at the Fifth Avenue Andaz by Hyatt, which is at 41st and Fifth Avenue facing the Read more
We have visited NYC a lot over the years on business and pleasure and love it. Read more
Three of us (including theatre major college son) are headed to NYC at end of March for 4 nights. Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more