Governor Wentworth, New Hampshire's first Royal Governor, named this town in honor of his friend John Henniker, a London merchant and member of the British Parliament (residents delight in their town's status as "the only Henniker in the world"). Once a mill town producing bicycle rims and other light-industrial items, Henniker reinvented itself after the factories were damaged, first by spring floods in 1936, and then
by the hurricane and flood of 1938. New England College was established in the following decade, adding life to this town of about 4,000. One of the area's covered bridges is on the campus.