- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Kaanapali Beach Review
Stretching from the northernmost end of the Sheraton Maui to the Hyatt Regency Maui at its southern tip, Kaanapali Beach is lined with resorts, condominiums, restaurants, and shops. If you're looking for quiet and seclusion, this is not the beach for you. But if you want lots of action, spread out your towel here. The center section in front of Whalers Village, also called "Dig Me Beach," is one of Maui's best people-watching spots: folks in catamarans, windsurfers, and stand-up paddleboarders head out from here while the beautiful people take in the scenery. A cement pathway weaves along the length of this 3-mile-long beach, leading from one astounding resort to the next.
The drop-off from Kaanapali's soft, sugary sand is steep, but waves hit the shore with barely a rippling slap. The northern section, known as Kekaa, was, in ancient Hawaii, a lele, or jumping-off place for spirits. It's easy to get into the water from the beach to enjoy the prime snorkeling among the lava rock outcroppings.
Throughout the resort, blue Shoreline Access signs point the way to a few free-parking stalls and public rights-of-way to the beach. Kaanapali Resort public beach parking can be found between the Hyatt and the Marriott, between the Marriott and the Kaanapali Alii, next to Whalers Village, and at the Sheraton. You can park for a fee at most of the large hotels and at Whalers Village. The merchants in the shopping village will validate your parking ticket if you make a purchase. Amenities: parking (no fee); showers; toilets. Best for: snorkeling; sunset; swimming; walking.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $325 -- Waikiki 4-Star Oceanfront Resort, Reg. $395 Sheraton Waikiki
- $675 & up -- Sheraton Kauai: 3-Nt. Vacation w/Car Rental Pleasant Holidays
- $1399 & up -- 7-Nt. Hawaii Cruise on Norwegian, R/T Honolulu American Express Travel
- $9.99 & up -- Car Rentals across Hawaii CarRentals.com
- $835 & up -- Sheraton Maui 3-Night Trip w/Car Rental — $835 Pleasant Holidays
Recently back from a wonderful first trip to Kauai! Read more
First, the disclaimer …
This trip will probably seem boring to most people, but the entire purpose was to R-E-L-A-X. Read more
My son and I are first timers to Hawaii, and are looking for a memorable, non-threatening or pressured golf experience. Read more
· News & Features
Maui's Wailea coastline is getting a hot new resort next summer when the Andaz moves into town. ... Read more
Maui's got it all—from plush resorts to boutique-y beachfront stays; romantic eateries to shack-like... Read more
Discovering what awaits at the end of the Hana Highway (a.k.a. the Highway to Heaven) may be full of twists... Read more