- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Cowboy Fun: Rodeos and Polo
Paniolos (Hawaiian cowboys) show off their skills at three major annual events: the Piiholo Cowboy Classic in September; the Oskie Rice Memorial Rodeo in December; and Maui's biggest event, the 4th of July Rodeo, which comes with a full parade in Makawao town and festivities that last for days.
Polo is popular with the Upcountry paniolos. From April through June, Haleakala Ranch hosts "indoor" or arena contests on a field flanked by side boards. The field is on Route 377, 1 mile from Route 37. During the "outdoor" polo season, September to mid-November, matches are held at Olinda Field, 1 mile above Makawao on Olinda Road. There's a $5 admission for most games, which start at 1:30 pm on Sunday.
Manduke Baldwin Memorial Tournament. Held over Memorial Day weekend, the Manduke Baldwin Memorial Tournament is a popular two-day polo event. It draws challengers from Argentina, England, South Africa, New Zealand, and Australia. 808/877–7744. www.mauipoloclub.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's