Site of the first Christian church in the Hawaiian Islands, this strong lava-rock structure, built in 1836, is mortared with burned lime, coral, and kukui oil and topped by an impressive steeple. The ceiling and interior were crafted of timbers harvested from a forest on Hualalai and held together with wooden pegs, not nails. Incredibly, the church sustained no damage from recent earthquakes. Inside, behind a panel of gleaming koa wood, rests a model of the brig Thaddeus as well as a koa wood table crafted by Henry Boshard, pastor for 43 years. The gift shop is open most mornings, and a talk is given by the church historian Sunday at noon. The church still holds services and hosts community events.