- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
U.S. 441, known as the Antebellum Trail, runs north-south, merging with U.S. 129 for a stretch and connecting Athens, Madison, Eatonton, and Milledgeville. Macon is on Route 49, which splits from U.S. 441 at Milledgeville. Washington lies at the intersection of U.S. 78, running east from Athens to Thomson, and Route 44, running south to Eatonton. Interstate 20 runs east from Atlanta to Augusta, which is about 93 mi east of U.S. 441.
Plan on using your car—or renting one—to get around North Georgia. U.S. 19 runs north-south, passing through Dahlonega and up into the North Georgia mountains. U.S. 129 travels northwest from Athens, eventually merging with U.S. 19. GA 75 stems off of U.S. 129 and goes through Helen and up into the mountains. U.S. 23/441 will take you north through Clayton; U.S. 76 runs west from Clayton to Dalton, merging for a stretch with GA 5/515. GA 52 runs along the edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains, passing through Ellijay. Interstate 75 is the major artery in the northwesternmost part of the state and passes near the New Echota State Historic Site and the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $67 -- 4-Star Atlanta Perimeter Hotel Hotwire.com