- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Cable Car Museum
Cable Car Museum Review
One of the city's best free offerings, this museum is an absolute must for kids. You can even ride a cable car here—all three lines stop between Russian Hill and Nob Hill. The facility, which is inside the city's last cable-car barn, takes the top off the system to let you see how it all works. Eternally humming and squealing, the massive powerhouse cable wheels steal the show. You can also climb aboard a vintage car and take the grip, let the kids ring a cable-car bell (briefly), and check out vintage gear dating from 1873.
The gift shop sells cable-car paraphernalia, including an authentic gripman's bell for $600 (it'll sound like Powell Street in your house every day). For significantly less, you can pick up a key chain made from a piece of worn-out cable.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $129* & up -- Premium Economy in Summer to SF, One Way Virgin America
- $194-$234 -- San Francisco Union Square Hotel, 30% Off BookIt.com
- $103 & up -- South San Francisco Bay Hotel w/Parking & Wi-Fi BookIt.com
- $349 & up -- 5-Night Pacific Coast Cruise on Norwegian Norwegian Cruise Line
- $119-$159 -- Weekends at Oakland Hotel by Berkeley, 50% Off — $119-$159 Oakland Marriott City Center
Visiting California from Atlanta, I planned an outing for my friend and I, her two kids (11 and 13) and my three kids (12,9,6)
Ferry over Friday morning from Dana Point was a bit rocky but fun.
We arrived Read more
What better way to spend Memorial Day 2013 than head down to the California Science Center in Los Angeles to check out the Space Shuttle Endeavour. Read more
My dad is super picky with hotels and it looks like either a nice hotel in carmel or monterey is $400 plus or a okay hotel is at least $200-$300.. any recs for a nice, clean , smell free, classy hotel which Read more
· News & Features
The James Beard award winners were just announced this week, so the race is on to try and get a table ... Read more
From a hidden drum circle in Washington DC to awesome sushi in Chicago's Ukrainian neighborhood, we've... Read more
You could go to San Francisco ten times and still not see it all, so we're here to help curate your nex... Read more