Los Angeles Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Most hotels in Los Angeles allow children under a certain age to stay in their parents' room at no extra charge, but others charge for them as extra adults; be sure to find out the cutoff age for children's discounts.
Hotel pools are dependable distractions for kids, but some are better than others. The Beverly Hilton Hotel has an almost-Olympic-size pool that's perfect for splash time. Santa Monica's Le Merigot Beach Hotel & Spa has a small pool and even bigger beach out the back door. At the Beverly Hills Hotel there are a lifeguard and swimming lessons and pool toys for children. Turndown for kids includes cookies, milk, and a teddy bear. On the sand, experienced swimmers can go native and use Casa Malibu Inn on the Beach's boogie boards or opt for board rentals from a nearby surf shop.
More economical choices include the Kids' suites at the Beverly Garland Holiday Inn, which come with bunk beds and video games. Also in the Valley, the venerable Sportsmen's Lodge is close to Universal Studios, but a world unto itself: there's plenty of room for kids to roam safely and a family friendly coffee shop. Prior to arrival at the Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel a family concierge can suggest family-friendly vacation ideas. The hotel also offers childproofing kits and special children's menus. Shutters on the Beach has boogie board and bike rentals, and keeps kid-appropriate DVDs on hand. Teens will like the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel, which links directly to Hollywood & Highland's shopping and Mann Theaters. The Magic Castle Hotel, more reasonably priced, is also close to Hollywood's action; kids can attend the famed magic show here only at Sunday brunch. And downtown amid skyscrapers, the Omni Los Angeles Hotel welcomes kids with a special goodie bag, lends out toys and games, and offers a special room service menu. The outdoor rooftop pool is sized just right. Terranea has a waterslide, splash fountains, and well-outfitted children's center plus supervised teen zone.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $220-$229 -- Santa Monica Hotel near Beach w/Breakfast Bookit.com
- $110 & up -- San Diego: Gaslamp Quarter Hotel, Save $150 Expedia
- $8.56 & up -- Car Rentals across California CarRentals.com
- $165 & up -- The Standard Downtown LA, Save 35% — $165 Expedia
- $189-$209 -- Weekends & Holidays at Beverly Hills Hotel — $189-$209 Residence Inn Beverly Hills