- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
You can get by without a car in downtown Niagara Falls and Stratford if you book a hotel close to the action.
Avoid Toronto-area highways during weekday rush hours (6:30 to 9:30 am and 3:30 to 6:30 pm). Traffic between Toronto and Hamilton might crawl along at any hour.
Ontario's only toll road is the east-west Highway 407, north of Toronto. It's expensive (18¢-22¢ per kilometer) and has no tollbooths; you will be billed via mail if the system has your state's license plate information on file.
The Ministry of Transportation has updates for roadwork and winter road conditions.
Ministry of Transportation (416/235-4686 or 800/268-4686. www.mto.gov.on.ca.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $227* & up -- Canada Sale Fares from Baltimore (One Way) Air Canada
- $99 -- Ottawa Hotel This Summer incl. Breakfast, 40% Off Quality Hotel Downtown Ottawa
- CA$169-$179 -- 4-Diamond Toronto Hotel near Eaton Centre Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre Hotel
- $649 & up -- 7-Night New England Cruise on Holland America American Express Travel
- $239* & up -- Canada Sale Fares from Cleveland (One Way) — $239 Air Canada