Pretty Antigonish, on the main route to Cape Breton Island, is home to St. Francis Xavier University, a center for Gaelic studies and the first coeducational Catholic institution to graduate women. The campus also has lots of cultural attractions.
Festival Antigonish. In July and August this professional theater festival is hosted by St. Francis Xavier University, with performances in the Bauer Theatre and the Chapel Auditorium. It includes matinees geared to kids and evening performances for adults. Antigonish, NS. www.festivalantigonish.com.
Highland Games. The biggest and oldest Highland Games outside of Scotland, which celebrated 150 years in 2013, is held in Antigonish each July. The energetic weeklong event includes caber tossing and hammer throwing. Pipe-band concerts, highland dance competitions, and ceilidhs round out the schedule. Antigonish, NS. www.antigonishhighlandgames.ca.
Antigonish at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in The Eastern Shore and Northern Nova Scotia
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's