- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The former Harmon Air Force Base is in Stephenville, a town best known for its summer festival. Stephenville also has the only airstrip in Canada on which the space shuttle can be landed and a large, modern paper mill. To the west of town is the Port au Port Peninsula, which was largely settled by the French, who brought their way of life and language to this small corner of Newfoundland.
Stephenville Theatre Festival. Held in July and August, this festival presents mostly musicals, some new, some familiar. 129 Montana Ave., Stephenville, NL, A2N 2T4. 709/643–4982; 709/643–4553 box office. www.stephenvilletheatrefestival.com.
Stephenville at a Glance
Elsewhere in Newfoundland
- Arches Provincial Park
- Boyd's Cove
- Cape St. Mary's Ecological Reserve
- Corner Brook
- Deer Lake
- Grand Bank
- Grand Falls–Windsor
- Gros Morne National Park
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's