- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Despite British Columbia's demanding landscape, bicycle travel is extremely popular. One of the most spectacular routes follows the abandoned 600-km-long (370-mi-long) Kettle Valley Railway through the mountains of the B.C. interior; Tourism Kelowna has details. Gentler options include the 100-km (62-mi) Galloping Goose Regional Trail near Victoria and the rolling hills of the Gulf Islands. Cycle Vancouver Island has information about bike touring on Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands. Mountain biking enthusiasts gravitate toward the trails on Vancouver's North Shore Mountains and up at Whistler.
Cycle Vancouver Island (250/592-4753. www.cyclevancouverisland.ca.)
Galloping Goose Regional Trail (250/478-3344. www.gallopinggoosetrail.com.)
Tourism Kelowna (250/861-1515 or 800/663-4345. www.tourismkelowna.com.)
TransLink (604/453-4500. www.translink.ca.)
Bikes in Flight
Most airlines accommodate bikes as luggage, provided they are dismantled and boxed; check with individual airlines about packing requirements. Some airlines sell bike boxes, which are often free at bike shops, for about $20 (bike bags can be considerably more expensive). International travelers often can substitute a bike for a piece of checked luggage at no charge; otherwise, the cost is about $100. Most U.S. and Canadian airlines charge $50-$100 each way, though fees are increasing steadily. Many also ask that the bike be preregistered when you book your ticket.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $227* & up -- Canada Sale Fares from Baltimore (One Way) Air Canada
- $349 & up -- 5-Night Pacific Coast Cruise on Norwegian Norwegian Cruise Line
- $239* & up -- Canada Sale Fares from Cleveland (One Way) — $239 Air Canada
- $649 & up -- 7-Night New England Cruise on Holland America — $649 American Express Travel
- $227* & up -- Canada Sale Fares from Nashville (One Way) — $227 Air Canada