- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The valley's feathered creatures are most easily spotted around its edges, especially near streams and along the trails that head into the nearby national parks. A good guide can significantly increase the number of species you see.
Ito Santamaría. Guadalupe resident Ito Santamaría is the area's top bird-watching guide and one of the few who speaks English. Cerro Punta. 507/6591–1621.
Los Quetzales Lodge and Spa. The private nature reserve of Los Quetzales Lodge has guides who are good at spotting birds, especially quetzals. Cerro Punta. 507/771–2291. www.losquetzales.com.
More Sports and Outdoors
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe