- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's See It Mexico, 3rd Edition
Experts believe that Sayil, or "place of the red ants," flourished between AD 800 and 1000. It's renowned primarily for its majestic Gran Palacio. Built on a hill, the three-story structure is adorned with decorations of animals and other figures, and contains more than 80 rooms. The structure recalls Palenque in its use of multiple planes, columned porticoes, and sober cornices. Also on the grounds is a stela in the shape of a phallus—an obvious symbol of fertility.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Oaxaca is a most interesting city & area.
I arrived 3 days before my apartment was available due to a change of plans. I had planned on taking the bus down the coast to Puerto Escondido via Acapulco Read more
My husband and I were in Oaxaca for a week in early March. We are a couple who are 38 and 40 from New York, who love to travel independently. We've only been to Guatemala and Peru previously, Read more
We were thinking of going to Guanajuato end of May, June for two weeks. Read more
· News & Features
In our inaugural Ask Fodor's column, one of our editors editor gives advice on how to travel by rail ... Read more
Pack light and still look great on your next camping trip with these 10 low-maintenance beauty products.... Read more
Castles, lakeside resorts, bang-for-your-buck Hawaii finds, and dazzling hotel gardens—it's... Read more