When to Go
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
When to Go
High season (aka dry season) is December through April; the resorts are most crowded and expensive during this time. If you don't mind afternoon showers, temperatures in the 80s and 90s F (high 20s and 30s C), and high humidity, rainy season (late June through October) is a great time to visit. Hotel rates drop by as much as 40%, and there aren't any crowds.
Summer sees the best diving, snorkeling, and surfing conditions. By August the coast and inland forests are green and bursting with blooms. Afternoon rains clean the streets; waterfalls and rivers outside of town spring into action. On the downside, heat and humidity are high, some businesses close shop in the hottest months (August and September), and nightlife slacks off.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $67-$74 -- Puerto Vallarta-Area All-Inclusive, up to 50% Off Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta
- $499 & up -- Cancun: All-Inclusive Beachfront Getaways w/Air Vacation Express
- $7 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com
- $399 & up -- Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Beach Escapes w/Air — $399 Vacation Express
- $899 -- Luxe Puerto Vallarta All-Incl. Trip w/Air, Save $820 — $899 Apple Vacations