- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
El Ahorcado Review
By day it looks like a hole-in-the-wall, but when the sun goes down, the rummage-sale-meets-taco-stand atmosphere of this open-air local favorite truly comes to life. Get beyond the ghoulish silhouette logo—ahorcado means "hangman" in Spanish—and you'll find out that the food is pretty good. One of the few area restaurants open late, it's packed until closing, usually around midnight. Old pots, baskets, antique irons, sombreros, and other tchotchkes hang from the walls and rafters. Quesadillas come with vegetarian fillers such as flor de calabaza (squash blossom), nopales (cactus), and rajas (poblano chilies), while meatier house specialities include beef tongue tacos in mustard sauce, cochinita pibil tacos, Cantonese-style beef rib tacos, and cuchiviriachis—a tostada filled with cheese and meat and roasted for a perfect melt. Bring your own cerveza; El Ahorcado doesn't have a liquor license.
- Address: Paseo Pescadores and Marinos, San José del Cabo, Baja California Sur, 23401
- Phone: 624/172-2093
- Location: San José del Cabo
- No credit cards.
- Closed Mon.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $79-$85 -- Riviera Maya 4-Star All-Inclusive Resort, 55% Off BookIt.com
- $149-$156 -- Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Resort w/Spa Credit BookIt.com
- $669 & up -- Cabo All-Inclusive 5-Night Trip w/Air, $200 Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $3210 & up -- 12-Nt. Luxe Mexican Riviera Cruise on Azamara American Express Travel
- $7 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com
Costa Azul surf break also known as “Zippers” is known for its fast waves for the more advanced surfer. Read more
Arrived on direct flight from Denver, luckily it was an easy travel day. Read more
Hello, I really want to go down to either Isla Mujeres or Cozumel or Playa del Carmen to swim and snorkel. Read more
· News & Features
Think of Los Cabos and you'll probably have images of umbrella drinks and sandy beaches swimming in you... Read more
Not all beaches are swimmable all the time (or ever).... Read more
What once was the drink of the poor Mexican farmer is now produced en masse and enjoyed internationally,... Read more