- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Punta Brava, also known as South Beach, is a long, winding sweep of sand strewn with seashells. The only direct access to this beach area is through the security gate at El Dorado Royal. Past the entrance is a tropical jungle and more than a mile of coastline at Punta Brava Beach. In an effort to calm the powerful waves, the resort has built artificial sandbars along the shore. Not only are these burlap sacks an eyesore, but also they have eliminated one of the few spots in the area where bodysurfing was once possible.
Elsewhere in Caribbean Coast
- Felipe Carrillo Puerto
- Playa del Carmen
- Playa del Secreto
- Puerto Aventuras
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's