- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Santa Rosa de Copán
Set in one of the most beautiful regions of Honduras, Santa Rosa de Copán has a friendliness that makes you long to linger. (The pleasant springlike climate—the town sits at 1,150 meters (3,780 feet) altitude—is a real plus, too.) It is the kind of highland town that still feels like a village—you get the sense you would know everybody in town within a week or so. The hilltop casco histórico (historic center) has been declared a national monument and is being renovated with care, with much work being put into preserving the splendid colonial-era buildings with their tiled roofs lining the narrow cobbled streets.
Santa Rosa is the town that tobacco built. The Spanish crown named it the site of the Real Factoria del Tabaco (the Royal Tobacco Factory) in 1793, a role that allowed it to set prices for the newly important crop and would propel it to wealth and prominence. Tobacco is still cultivated here, although it has been joined and surpassed these days by coffee, another signature Honduran export. With its 42,000 people, Santa Rosa is today the largest city in the highlands and the capital of the department (province) of Copán. There is not a list of must-see sights here to check off, but you may find yourself staying a couple of days to soak up the town's colonial past.
Santa Rosa de Copán at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $211 & up -- Cancun 5-Star All-Inclusive Hotel up to 20% Off The Beloved Hotel
- $180-$187 -- Los Cabos Beach All-Incl. Resort incl. Weekends Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
- $933 & up -- Costa Rica: 7 Nts. w/Hotel, Car Rental & Air LatinEscapes.com
- $499 -- New Ship to Cozumel on 6-Night Cruise MSC Cruises
- $3.42 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com