- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
There is only one private hospital on the Bay Islands. Wood's Medical Centre, open 24 hours, can handle most emergencies. It can also organize transfers to hospitals on the mainland. There are two hyperbaric chambers on the island to treat divers with the bends, one at Fantasy Island and the other at Anthony's Key Resort. These facilities also have medics on call for emergencies.
The Utila Community Clinic caters mostly to tourists and has a well-stocked pharmacy. The attending physician also runs the Utila Hyperbaric Chamber. The island is now equipped with a helicopter to airlift patients in critical condition to La Ceiba.
Hospital and Clinic
Wood's Medical Centre Coxen Hole, Roatán. 445-1080.
Utila Community Clinic Utila Town, Utila. 425-3154.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $80 -- Wyndham Cabo San Lucas Resort, Incl. 25% Meals CheapCaribbean.com
- $115-$149 -- Cancun: 4-Star Resort w/Breakfast, 35% Off The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun
- $599 & up -- All-Incl. Riviera Maya Adult-Only Resort w/Air CheapCaribbean.com
- $499 -- New Ship to Cozumel on 6-Night Cruise MSC Cruises
- $3.42 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com