- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
There is only one private hospital on the Bay Islands. Wood's Medical Centre, open 24 hours, can handle most emergencies. It can also organize transfers to hospitals on the mainland. There are two hyperbaric chambers on the island to treat divers with the bends, one at Fantasy Island and the other at Anthony's Key Resort. These facilities also have medics on call for emergencies.
The Utila Community Clinic caters mostly to tourists and has a well-stocked pharmacy. The attending physician also runs the Utila Hyperbaric Chamber. The island is now equipped with a helicopter to airlift patients in critical condition to La Ceiba.
Hospital and Clinic
Wood's Medical Centre Coxen Hole, Roatan. 445-1080.
Utila Community Clinic Utila Town, Utila. 425-3154.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's