Fodor's Honduras & the Bay Islands
Easy, one day, three guides. A favorite tour among visitors here, this mild day trip starts with a two-hour pipante ride up the Río Plátano. Pull off at the head of the Kuyuzqui trail and take an intermediate one-to-two-hour hike through lush jungle landscape. Moss-covered benches and a creaky, off-limits observation tower are remnants of previous tourism efforts that, at this writing, guides hope will soon be restored. Continue upriver to the petroglyphs and disembark for a picnic lunch. In the dry season, water around the rock carvings dries up and makes for a pleasant rest on the beach. Return downriver to Las Marías in the late afternoon.
- Address: Río Plátano Biosphere Reserve, Las Marías
- Location: Las Marías
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
· News & Features
In our inaugural Ask Fodor's column, one of our editors editor gives advice on how to travel by rail ... Read more
Pack light and still look great on your next camping trip with these 10 low-maintenance beauty products.... Read more
Castles, lakeside resorts, bang-for-your-buck Hawaii finds, and dazzling hotel gardens—it's... Read more