Fodor's Honduras & the Bay Islands
This tiny village of 400 people makes for a tranquil day trip to the Laguna de Tansing, just 18 km (11 mi) south of Puerto Lempira. Shady beaches ring the lagoon, whose freshwater attracts lots of waterfowl; head here for great bird-watching. Taxis from the city charge around $40 round-trip, although the journey is also enjoyable on two wheels (weather permitting). Informal bike shops in Puerto Lempira should charge under $10 for daily rentals. If your afternoon escape turns into an overnight, a string of family-run bungalows in town ($) provide basic accommodations with private baths.
- Address: La Mosquitía
- Location: Puerto Lempira
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more