Look up "laid-back beach town" in the dictionary, and you just might find a picture of Monterrico, the only town in the country with such a vibe. Don't expect Puerto Vallarta, but Monterrico is a wonderful little place with a growing selection of lodgings, and even the upscale hotels aren't too pricey. Weekends are usually full here—you can be here from Guatemala City in just over two hours, and a huge number of the capital's residents do exactly that—but come during the week and you'll likely have the place to yourself.
Drawbacks include black volcanic sand that is very hot on bare feet at midday (wear sandals), and a wicked undertow that can pull you out to sea before you realize what is happening. (Lifeguards watch over a small section of beach on weekends only. Exercise extreme caution, and never swim alone, good advice anywhere, but especially here.)
Monterrico at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Pacific Lowlands
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's