- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Abbaye de Saint-Maurice (St. Maurice Abbey)
Abbaye de Saint-Maurice (St. Maurice Abbey) Review
At the end of the fourth century, the first bishop of the Valais built a sanctuary over Maurice's tomb, and in 515 the Abbaye de Saint-Mauricewas founded. Its treasury contains a stellar collection of religious offerings, with precious Romanesque and Gothic objects given in honor of the martyrs. Contemplate both sides of the stunning bronze doors with inscriptions honoring martyrs from around the world. Excavations near the Baroque église abbatiale (abbey church) have revealed the foundations of the original building.
- Address: St-Maurice
- Phone: 024/4860404
- Cost: Church free; guided tour 10 SF
- Hours: Guided tours May, June, Sept., and Oct., Tues.–Sun. at 2:45; July and Aug., Tues.–Sat. at 10:30, 2, 3:15, and Sun. at 2, 3:15; Nov.–Apr., Tues.–Fri. at 2:45 (Nov.–Apr., reservations are necessary two days in advance).
- Website: www.abbaye-stmaurice.ch
- Location: St-Maurice
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Just back less than a week ago from my 8 day/night solo trip to Bern.
Stayed in a 333 year-old building apartment (VRBO) a half block from Bern's famous Muenster and half a block from Clock Tower.
Had sun, Read more
There is no way our trip would have been so enjoyable without the suggestions from the fodor community so a BIGGGGG thank you!
Here is the link to our blog which is slow but sure!
http://talesoftwoglobetrotters.blogspot.com/ Read more
When in UK 2 years ago my nieces loved wandering around the Castle ruins that we we went to ~ Kenilworth and Chepstow (also Tintern Abbey). Read more
· News & Features
Switzerland may be best known for its frosty summits, but the tiny-yet-diverse country opens up in summertime... Read more
Starting in the sun-splashed coast of the French Riviera, a road trip is one of the most stunning and... Read more
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more