- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Abbaye de Saint-Maurice (St. Maurice Abbey)
Abbaye de Saint-Maurice (St. Maurice Abbey) Review
At the end of the fourth century, the first bishop of the Valais built a sanctuary over Maurice's tomb, and in 515 the Abbaye de Saint-Mauricewas founded. Its treasury contains a stellar collection of religious offerings, with precious Romanesque and Gothic objects given in honor of the martyrs. Contemplate both sides of the stunning bronze doors with inscriptions honoring martyrs from around the world. Excavations near the Baroque église abbatiale (abbey church) have revealed the foundations of the original building.
- Address: St-Maurice
- Phone: 024/4860404
- Cost: Church free; guided tour 10 SF
- Hours: Guided tours May, June, Sept., and Oct., Tues.–Sun. at 2:45; July and Aug., Tues.–Sat. at 10:30, 2, 3:15, and Sun. at 2, 3:15; Nov.–Apr., Tues.–Fri. at 2:45 (Nov.–Apr., reservations are necessary two days in advance).
- Website: www.abbaye-stmaurice.ch
- Location: St-Maurice
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Our journey to Zurich in 2012 was in keeping up with our tradition to ring in the New Year some where we have never visited. Read more
I planned my trip using this forum and thought I should pay it forward and hopefully help someone else out there who is planning a trip. Read more
Need advice for my trip - 19 May - 3 June 2014.
Fly into Amsterdam and leave from Vienna.
Beginning at Amsterdam, my wife and I would like to travel by train and the 2 must visit place are Zermatt, Salszburgh. Read more
· News & Features
Thick fondue, rolling green hills, well-preserved medieval towns—the canton of Fribourg in easte ... Read more
There's something wonderfully comforting about an old-school ski resort.... Read more
Switzerland may be best known for its frosty summits, but the tiny-yet-diverse country opens up in summertime... Read more