- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
At a Glance
- free ski-pass for the Schatzalp area in winter
- peaceful, awe-inspiring location
- building has historic charm
- boundless activities for all ages
- those seeking amazing amenities or modern rooms might be disappointed
- no TVs
Fodor's FindsLowest Price Guarantee
About 950 feet above town on a quiet, car-free slope, this spectacular hotel will transport you back to the grand spa days of Davos: once used as a sanatorium, the entire hotel is now decorated in elegant Belle Epoque style, though many salons have been given striking modern touches like exotic fabrics and contemporary furnishings. Described in Mann's The Magic Mountain, the vast hotel has grounds to match, with fun features like a long hillside slide in summer and a 2½-km (1½-mi) sled run in winter. All south-facing guest rooms have balconies overlooking the looming mountain range, offering uninterrupted, awe-inspiring vistas that can also be savored from a table in the elegant Panorama restaurant. Spend summer afternoons enjoying the breeze on the long veranda or visiting the hotel's botanical garden, featuring high-altitude plants from five continents. Alternatively, you can relax in the three sauna and steam rooms. The hotel is accessible only by its own funicular, the Schatzalp-Bahn, a four-minute ride from Davos-Platz near the Hotel Europe. The slopes above the hotel host Europe's first "slow mountain" for ski/snowboard enthusiasts who don't feel the need for speed.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Just back less than a week ago from my 8 day/night solo trip to Bern.
Stayed in a 333 year-old building apartment (VRBO) a half block from Bern's famous Muenster and half a block from Clock Tower.
Had sun, Read more
There is no way our trip would have been so enjoyable without the suggestions from the fodor community so a BIGGGGG thank you!
Here is the link to our blog which is slow but sure!
http://talesoftwoglobetrotters.blogspot.com/ Read more
Will the Eurail Global Pass the only pass I need to travel in Europe. Read more
· News & Features
Switzerland may be best known for its frosty summits, but the tiny-yet-diverse country opens up in summertime ... Read more
Starting in the sun-splashed coast of the French Riviera, a road trip is one of the most stunning and... Read more
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more