Bilbao and the Basque Country Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Abandoibarra: Bilbao's New Heart
The Abandoibarra project covers nearly a full square mile along the Nervión estuary. Formerly occupied by docks, warehouses, and shipyards, two-thirds of this new urban center are now parks and open spaces. Javier López Chollet's 280,000-square-foot Ribera Park borders the Parque de Doña Casilda between the Guggenheim and Palacio de Euskalduna. This green space joins the quais of La Naja, Ripa, and Uribitarte to connect with the Olabeaga park downriver, creating a riverside promenade more than 3 km (2 mi) long.
The head architect for the project is the Connecticut-based César Pelli, designer of New York's World Financial Center and its Winter Garden fronting the Hudson River. Offices are also part of the project, as well as five apartment blocks and a residential building by Basque architect Luis Peña Ganchegui. Other buildings include the Meliá Bilbao Hotel (formerly the Sheraton Bilbao) by the Mexican architect Ricardo Legorreta; and American Robert Stern's shopping and leisure center, Zubiarte. Flanking the riverside thoroughfare named for Bilbao businessman and benefactor Ramón Rubial are the auditorium of the University of the Basque Country and the Deusto University library. Pedro Arrupe's footbridge, an exercise in rationalism with a simple geometrical form, connects Abandoibarra and Deusto University. The footbridge creates a complete urban promenade joining the Avenue of the Universities, the riverside walk, and the new streets of Abandoibarra, the culminating act of the revitalized, 21st-century Bilbao.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Silken Gran Domine Bilbao on Sale: Book 3 Nts in Jun Fr $235+/Nt Save with Expedia, $38/night less
- Bilbao Savings! Book at Carlton Fr $218+/Nt Expedia
- Save Big This Jun! Book 3 Nts in Bilbao at Ercilla Fr $88+/Nt — $88 Save with Expedia, $9/night less
- Book in Bilbao: Save at the Melia Bilbao in Jun Fr $181+/Nt — $181 Expedia
- $99 & Up: Petit Palace Arana 3-Star Hotel in Bilbao — $99 Save with Expedia, $10/night less