- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Known for its early Christian settlement, Whithorn is full of history. The main street is notably wide, with cute pastel buildings nestled up against each other, their low doorways and small windows creating images of years long past. It's still mainly a farming community, but is fast becoming a popular tourist destination. Several scenes from the original Wicker Man were shot in and around the area. During the summer months, it's a popular place for festivals. The Isle of Whithorn, just beyond the town, is not an island at all but a fishing village of great charm.
Whithorn at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Borders and the Southwest
- Castle Douglas
- Gatehouse of Fleet
- Glen Trool
- Gretna Green
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's